2.22.2008

Maroon 5


Today was probably one of the crazier days I've had since moving to Dallas.  I've been craving live music the way I experienced it back in Austin, so when I heard that Maroon 5 would be playing a free concert sponsored by 106.1 Kiss Fm (yes even though it plays crap pop music 24/7 and the morning dj's are only slightly tolerable) at 7am, I was determined to get in. I set my alarm for 3:30am which in hindsight I didn't really need to set because I woke up every hour in anticipation (i'm a huge nerd).  I got super lost in Las Colinas, which is really unnerving at 4:15am.  Luckily a girl waiting and having a smoke in her car while waiting for 5am to open her Starbucks pointed me in the direction of the canal.  After I parked I ran into Rose Marie, who had just gotten off her shift at Wal-Mart. 
When we walked up to the radio station fishbowl, there were already about 30 people there, all giving us the stink-eye for showing up and lessening their chances of getting tickets.  We started talking to these two other folks...I can't remember the girl's name but the guy's name was John and they had driven in
from South Ft. Worth for this.  
A station worker came out and announced they would be passing out a raffle ticket to each person, and that raffle ticket would be good for two passes, which you could give to your best friend, so Rose Marie decided that we would give our passes to each other if the other won.  Then, we waited. 

Shannon was there first, then Kidd Kraddick, Big Al, Kelly, J-Si showed up. We had prime real-estate in front of the morning show windows, but then they announced that they would be passing out raffle tickets, which engaged the PUSH AND SHOVE! PUSH AND SHOVE! mechanism in everyone's brain so that when we finally got the tickets and circled back around to where we were standing, there 
was a crowd of high schoolers and two thirty-year-olds directly in front of us who were slowly starting to piss me off.  If anyone has ever been to a concert, you know the type, the girls who pretend they can't hear you when you say "Excuse me no way are you going to stand in front of me - first off you're taller than me and second of all we've been here a good 8 hours before you have." The other thing that was baffling to me were the single moms who bundled up their kids and brought them down to the radio station.  I'm pretty sure 4-year-old Sally has neither any idea who Maroon 5 is nor wanted to be sleeping on the cold hard ground (did I mention it was like, 50 degrees?) while mom got a glimpse of hotness.

So...they FINALLY got around to announcing numbers and they called John and his sister's name, which totally bummed us out, then the people right next to us got called, and someone else, which is when Rose Marie said, "Think positive!  We're going to get thi..." which is right about the time they called her number and we FREAKED out.  The show, in short, was amazing.  They only played two songs acoustically - "Won't Go Home Without You" and "This Love."  Instead of rushing through a 3rd song, they took questions from the audience.  I asked Adam for a hug but Kidd Kraddick *boo hisssss* shot me down.  It was totally fine, though - a 12 year old got a hug at the end of the QA session, which made it worth it.  I know, I know - I'm NEVER that girl who does stuff like that but I figured it was worth a shot :)
The rest of the day I was in a warm, fuzzy, sleep-deprived haze, which was okay with me, because that was the perfect start to my day. 


No comments: