Being sick really messes with my head creatively. My session on Thursday was uncharacteristically disorganized and overwhelming for me, partly due to cold meds and also because I can't breathe very well and when I can't breathe, I can't sing. Like this morning, I woke completely without a voice and started panicking when it got to 9am and I had a 10:30 session looming. I heated up a small cuppa soup, which gave me my voice back but during the session I had to get the kids singing then mouth the words. I spent 11:00 - 2:30 in complete silence, drinking as much water as I could handle, and taking an hour and a half nap. The kids in the afternoon class were in rare form, as they are every Friday, and I think being sick also helped me to relax and think a little bit, so the session went fairly well, even though I didn't particularly like the songs I was using.
I'd been really a chaotic mess internally until yesterday I requested a relaxation from my professor who is a Guided Imagery and Music fellow, and it rocked my face off, and me back to center. I hate to sound trite but gosh, I really love music.
Anyway. We were going to go see the South Austin Jug Band tonight in Deep Ellum but nobody in the house is really up for it, and more importantly it's BATTLESTAR NIGHT!
No comments:
Post a Comment