7.29.2008

what's the rush?

On Monday I decided to bike to and from the grocery store - it's only about 1.7 miles from my house - so I rigged up my milk crate and set off. I of course got lost, then got anxious, and my first thought was, "Ugh this is taking so long I need to hurry and get there so I can get back and..."

...hang out by myself? I mean really. I giggled at the thought, then got to thinking about all the rushing around we do on a daily basis, mostly for naught. Always looking forward to the next thing instead of being fully present in the...well, the present moment. It's a difficult shift to make, but I've been trying to engage myself fully in each moment with patients, friends, and especially family. If that means turning off my cell phone at lunch or leaving it behind altogether when we go out, then so be it.

It's kind of liberating.

2 comments:

Melodie Ann said...

Preach it sister.

Kelli said...

I was just saying that the other day that I am tired of rushing. I want to take in each moment with Caroline and cherish it!