8.15.2008

my own worst enemy :)

ha - I just realized that that title means several different things right now! The universe has really been kicking my butt this week. I stubbed my right toe so that part of my nail came off a couple days ago, then slammed my left ring and middle fingers in the front door yesterday and then that night stubbed my right to agAIN so now there's even more taken off my toenail and ALL that has been backdropped by the fact that when I got home from camp on Monday, not only was there a dead rat on the glue trap in the pantry (thank goodness my mom found it else I would have barfed...then freaked out...then barfed again) BUT THERE WAS NO HOT WATER. After showers at friends houses and many invigoratingly chilly morning showers at home, I finally got around to trying to cook on our gas stove. Hm. No gas. Carlos's manager SWORE that the gas bill had been paid, but after some phone calls it was discovered that said bill was actually paid LATE and therefore I won't have hot water 'til FREAKING TUESDAY.

Ask me again why I have to pay rent? I mean, really.

The other meaning to the title is that I had a couple good music therapy sessions this week and a couple craptacular ones and today I figured out the problem: me.

I mean, I know that's the obvious answer, and it's not that I'm a crap therapist, because I know at the very least I am empathetic as all get out which is essential - it's that I overanalyze every. little. exchange. and want SO BADLY to be really really good at this that it's almost crippling. I'm learning to let things go and maybe it's just an age thing but identifying that Evil Inner Critic has become essential to my development as a therapist. I have a book called The Artist's Way that deals with exactly that, and I've been humming and hawing over doing it...I'll start, then quit due to time constraints, then start again to no avail...it's a little like trying to give up bread. Or...Dr. Pepper. Maybe that's the reason I've been reluctant to write about my internship on here (yeah, it's been nearly 3 whole months and I've not breathed a substantial word about the amazing experience I'm having down here) so, that will change too.

No comments: