Not only is it a Thursday it is the first Thursday of September and therefore First Thursday down on South Congress. I went with Kate the Great and Rq and it was way too fun for words. We had the most AMAZING cupcakes (shout out, Sweet Kel) and folks were giving out free hugs on the sidewalk and I got lots of 'em and realized that I've been aching this week and I think it's for human contact. The Hubs suggested I would fold the first week in Austin because I am such a physical contact kind of girl. I didn't fold, but he's totally right (I mean, shock, right?) and I realized how much I crave that...not SO much from total strangers but just, touch in general. Speaks volumes of course, even if it's just holding hands or sitting close to someone. To me it's really, really soothing, like, that person is sharing their part of existence with you, and it's kind of a big deal in a subtle way.
Something that struck me funny tonight was that you know how...you run into people you sorta knew from college and you have the same conversation:
"Hey!"
"Hey!"
"How ARE you?! What are you doing in Austin?"
"Oh I'm great, just ___________, you know..."
"Yeah I'm just _____________...you know, we should totally hang out sometime, catch up"
"Yeah!"
"Yeah...I'm on facebook so..."
"Yeah I'm totally going to facebook you"
"Sweet"
"Yeah! Well, it was great running INTO you!"
"Yeah you too! Have a great day!"
And then you don't.
What was funnier to me though is like, you know how running into friends from school can be totally awkward? That's just silly! I mean, no matter what the drama was when in school, whether you hated each other or dated her boyfriend, thought the other person didn't like you or whatever...I mean, that stuff was silly back then and it really REALLY doesn't matter now. I've had a lot of "let it go" big neon signs from the universe lately (also, the universe I'm pretty sure was smiling at me today because babies everywhere were smiling at me and one even reached up like -pick me up!- even though I was a stranger...it was mad cute) which has really lifted some weight from me...I was literally walking around Zilker the last couple weeks visualizing myself laying down cute little handbags of resentment, satchels of anger and such. Anyway, just because you think you knew someone 4, 5, 10 years ago doesn't mean you know them now and to hold them to that is really unfair.
But we all do it.
2 comments:
When I come to Austin, I would LOVE one of those cupcakes!!!
Yeah for free hugs.... I wonder if you will end up on a youtube video? :)
Yeah girl - I totally thought of you last night!
Post a Comment