4.07.2009

If I Were A Flower...

I'm pretty sure I'd be an Impatiens, because my picture is NOWHERE near the word "patient" in the dictionary.

I couldn't stand that my garden was bare while North Texas endured flip-floppy weather, and suddenly I found myself yet again at North Haven, picking out glorious herbs and a couple tomatoes. Because of the sunlight situation in the back garden, I've decided to focus my efforts back there on having a rock n roll kitchen herb garden, maybe some lettuces in the spring and fall. I feel like I'm even pushing it with two tomato plants in the sunniest spaces. 


My darling husband has pointed out that there is a huge sunny spot behind our garage that could be cultivated and used for some veggies. I've just got to get a handle on the herb garden first. I'm toying with the idea of just letting it go, letting the herbs go to seed, having things go a little crazy, see what happens. 

Last month I guess I planted a bunch of Nasturium and some Vioala's because I thought that the sunlight situation in the garden would be the same in the spring as it is in the fall.  Oh of course not.  But, one of my Nasturium made it and even flowered! The Violas were quite literally toast in a few short weeks. This Nasty seemed to have found the optimal mix of sun and shade. It's still doing lovely, and is now neighbors with some Lamb's Ear.


and SPEAKING of gardening, a HUGE shout out to my sweet cousin/sister The Germinatrix , seen here on the Bonnie Hunt Show recently (search for Ivette Soler). She's the proud owner of a wonderful gardening blog/community and you should totally check her out.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but as soon as I read the title, Beyonce's "If I Were A Boy" got stuck in my head.

Happy Tuesday! :)

Becky at VintageMixer said...

I'm trying to plant a garden this year! You way ahead of me. I know nothing :)

Germi said...

Let it go to seed at the end of the summer, Sweet Girl! that's what I do with all my lettuces and annual herbs, and in the spring I get this free bumper crop of whatever wants to come up! This year I have TONS of arugula, freckled lettuce, and chamomile spread all over the gravelly parts of my vegetable beds.
Also, they will naturally end up in the best places to grow them, so let them tell you where they want to be. All mine want to be in the pathways.
Figures!
XOXOIvette!