5.21.2009

I am a biking fool.

No offense at all to my old bike. It got me through my first Danskin Women's Tri last year and we didn't even come in last! But, she was heavy and the wheels were a funky size, so I had a hard time finding and keeping tires and tubes for it. 

So, when graduation and me getting a job rolled around I figured I would get a new bike! Nothing fancy or carbon or anything, just a good bike on which I could both race and go to the grocery store.


So, I hit the Bike Mart website and lo and behold I found my little biker soulmate. I was so excited that first day that I got Azzi (short for Azucar) that I rode her 15.5 miles. Yeah. definitely paid for it later. 

Anyway, it's been about 3 days and I've already put more than 20 miles on it - I biked to go swimming yesterday (don't get me started on how much it makes me miss Austin and NB in the summertime) and then today I biked some errands. I'm getting more confident on busier streets, although sometimes I still hit the sidewalk when I'm not feeling confident enough in the drivers around me. 

It makes me wish that there were more fresh local markets in my 'hood. And rivers. But there's not too much I can do about that second one.

Turns out I just needed a little oomph to get my groove back. I'm stoked about the possibilities of having this bike, of the lower gasoline bill/emissions and adding a new element to my year of health!

3 comments:

daina said...

Nice!!!

Mini-Martha said...

You are a machine, woman! I joined a new gym and the classes are kicking my butt. Haven't worked up the nerve to try spinning yet though.

Oh, and I like your old bike. It was a pretty color. :)

Christina said...

i liked the red bike, too - it was just really old, and time for a new one. The thin to remember about your first spinning class is not to be all hard core or do everything that the people around you. Just make it through. Repeat to yourself "just keep spinning, just keep spinning" a-la Finding Nemo if you must. It helps :)