So, a few weeks ago I mentioned that we wouldn't be getting a puppy yet because we had to figure things out with Jake first. Well, after a couple visits to the Dallas Dog Trainer, Jake is doing GREAT! He's a very, very smart dog, and picks things up ridiculously fast. Especially if there's hot dogs involved. Apparently we had our roles of the pack all screwed up and have been working on who's in charge of who in the house. His behavior has improved dramatically. Anyone who needs help with their dogs, I suggest you go to the Dallas Dog Trainer because we learned a LOT about dog behavior that has changed the way we interact with Jake.
We've been working every day on heeling and walking and we've gotten to the point where I can drop his leash and sprint off ahead of him and he'll not only catch and keep up with me, he slows down when I slow down.
So, this video is probably evidence that when we have kids, I'll be all ZOMG! HE/SHE BLINKED! and then blog all about it but I have to tell you that when we started working on this, Jake just looked at the shut door like "wtf?" and in 2 minutes, figured it out without my help.
We had a dog trainer for Harley and since I got pregnant we have not been AS diligent but it helped tremendously. She, too, is very smart but sometimes I thinkt he smart ones are the worst behaved pre-training. That crate thing is a big deal, I totally get that. I love being able to tell Harley to go to her house and have her go! Now if only we could control her with the doorbell.
Next step is setting up the stroller and taking her for a walk with it without having a baby in it. We will look like fools lol.
We had a dog trainer for Harley and since I got pregnant we have not been AS diligent but it helped tremendously. She, too, is very smart but sometimes I thinkt he smart ones are the worst behaved pre-training. That crate thing is a big deal, I totally get that. I love being able to tell Harley to go to her house and have her go! Now if only we could control her with the doorbell.
Next step is setting up the stroller and taking her for a walk with it without having a baby in it. We will look like fools lol.
One of my friend trained his dog to get excited for "pizza" instead of "biscuits" or "treats." I think you should make it a point to call it something silly everytime you go to give him a treat.
Anytime anyone suggested ordering pizza, Cameron's dog just feeeeelipped out. It was awesome!
7 comments:
We had a dog trainer for Harley and since I got pregnant we have not been AS diligent but it helped tremendously. She, too, is very smart but sometimes I thinkt he smart ones are the worst behaved pre-training. That crate thing is a big deal, I totally get that. I love being able to tell Harley to go to her house and have her go! Now if only we could control her with the doorbell.
Next step is setting up the stroller and taking her for a walk with it without having a baby in it. We will look like fools lol.
We had a dog trainer for Harley and since I got pregnant we have not been AS diligent but it helped tremendously. She, too, is very smart but sometimes I thinkt he smart ones are the worst behaved pre-training. That crate thing is a big deal, I totally get that. I love being able to tell Harley to go to her house and have her go! Now if only we could control her with the doorbell.
Next step is setting up the stroller and taking her for a walk with it without having a baby in it. We will look like fools lol.
Just wait till he figures out how to open it from the inside :)!
AW! Jake is doing so well! He's such a genius and y'all are such good trainers!
what a cutie! and such smart parents!
One of my friend trained his dog to get excited for "pizza" instead of "biscuits" or "treats." I think you should make it a point to call it something silly everytime you go to give him a treat.
Anytime anyone suggested ordering pizza, Cameron's dog just feeeeelipped out. It was awesome!
Just a thought...
Jake is amazing, but I like how you affirm him with "nicely done". You're too precious for words.
Post a Comment