So, I just realized that the Austin tri is in like, less than a month. I also would like to do the Wurst Tri Ever in NB, but I'm battling an eye infection and the day before, I'm scheduled back to see my beloved optometrist who now knows me by name. I would, however, like to get in one last sprint tri warmup before the big mamba jamba.
At camp I had two cancer-related things happen. First, one of my campers lost her mother to cancer, which she hardly spoke about. The next thing that happened was that a dear friend lost her mother to cancer. It seriously broke my heart when I heard because I know how much hope there had been for her to survive.
I have to admit that I've been slacking on training. I rolled my ankle in the garden a couple weeks ago and then did something stupid to my bike and I just a couple weeks ago got my ankle worked on and then last week went to camp and was in no way ready to wake up the required EARLY! to get out there on the road. This morning, though, I woke up with determination. I signed up for the Olympic Distance, which is a 1-mile swim, 24-mile bike ride, and a 10k run. It's due nearly entirely to peer pressure, and I'm really, really scared that I'm going to a) not finish or b) come in last. I figured that signing up for the longer distance would kick my bootie into gear. I was right.
This morning as I ran I thought and prayed a lot for my friend and her family, and thought a lot about strength and endurance both as they apply to racing a tri and to fighting cancer. I didn't come to any profound conclusions, just sent all the positive thoughts and strength I could muster and I recognized that the two were somehow connected. I'm glad that I can be doing something to feel empowered against the disease that's taken so much from me, my friends, and my family.
I have $625 more to raise, which is making me nervous, even though I know I have about two more months (ish) to get it together. I'm so blessed by the folks who've already donated and have sent along words of encouragement. Thanks for believing in me and in believing in the cause.
I'll be posting a lot more about the tri and training now that it's mere weeks (EEK!) away.
1 comment:
you can do it!! You're my hero!
Post a Comment