Really, the swim was the least eventful part of this race. I am entirely comfortable and confident in my swimming abilities, and managed to swim the mile in about 40 minutes, which is what my average was in the pool.
The lead-up to the swim though, hooo-boy. First off, we woke up around 5am, and Ian was there at Kate's door at about 5:07am, his knock freaking us all out because really, we thought he was going to show up at 5:45. Love you, Ian. Seeing as the transition area closed at 6:40am and I am a control freak, after unpacking and repacking all my stuff, we were out the door at 5:30am after a breakfast of coffee (have to get in the PRP if you know what I mean), scrambled eggs, and peanut butter and jelly with bananas. Yes we sang the "peanut butter jelly time!" song because we were, uh, delirious.
K was kind enough to drive us down to the race in the predawn hours and dropped us off. Again, things mostly uneventful. Ran into our college TBS sponsor, Jean, who was racing in her 20th triathlon. Amazing. I loved walking around and seeing the Livestrong jerseys...often times there would be no words, just big smiles and high-fives. The butterflies flopped and beat themselves to death in my stomach as we waited. Finally, it was time to go and we all hopped into the questionably clean waters, treaded water, and we were off. The only interesting things that happened during the swim was me getting COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT by the shallow rocks not once but twice and my lack of control over the radio in my head, which led to "I'm Yours" playing on repeat for 3/4 of the swim, though it is neither energizing nor has a good beat to swim to. Oh well.
(next: The Perilous Bike)
2 comments:
Ooooh - I hate when I'm swimming in a river and I brush over rocks or plants. Totally freaks me out. Not sure if it freaks me out for the same reason it did you, but I hate touching stuff when I'm not supposed to be :)
Jean does triathlons?!?! NO WAY!!! NEAT! I have to do one now. If only to be as cool as Jean...and you. ;)
Post a Comment