11.09.2009

there's no place like home(town)...

I always tell people that NB is a great place to be from, but it was sometimes a difficult place in which to grow up. Everything closing around 9 or 10 on the weekends, small town mentality, racism, all that. There were good things too: dear friends that have been in my life more years than haven't been in it, facing the rivers at night for the sheer thrill of it (and as mentioned above, we were bored at about 10:05pm), and knowing a place so well it - less like just the back of your hand and more like part of your entire skin. I'm having trouble describing the tingling I felt when I saw the workers putting the lights on the courthouse or encountering an 8 pt buck on my morning run through the old neighborhood.

I went back this weekend for Wurstfest and I swear, every time I go back, for either a holiday or a weekend trip, I learn something new about myself, my friends, and sometimes a little light gets shone on something. I came away from this weekend reassured that the more things and people change the more they stay the same. For me that means I can look back on and appreciate the stronger friendships with people I love, and joyfully renewed connections, along with a reinforced confidence in the choices I've made since leaving.

Has it really almost been 10 years?

No comments: