2.21.2010

Herb Garden 2K10

I've said before that I'm probably the world's most impatient gardener. It snowed here last week, and this is what my garden looked like:


The Weather Channel says it might even snow this week. But you know what I did yesterday?

I tricked out my herb garden.


my best friend Haley gave these cute herb signs to Kyle for Christmas, but I'm fairly certain they're actually for me.


I decided to try my hand at pansies this year (these look beat up because my dog likes to shortcut through them) and have been way delighted. They're great in the cold and are a refreshing splash of color in the winter months.


The salad aisle including bright lights swiss chard and some lettuce.


I planted three kinds of sage, two kinds of parsley, and three cilantro plants.


All together now! In the bottom left corner of the picture you can see my cilantro plants, plus the purple sage. Other things I'm growing include thyme, dill, and chamomile.

The fact of the matter is that every year I try to grow tomatoes and peppers in this space and EVERY YEAR I get my heart broken because it just doesn't get enough sunlight. I decided that instead of disappointing myself yet again, I would have the most badass herb garden around. The pansies (righth hand side of the last photo) are where several different kinds of basil are going to go because right there gets the most sunlight. I'm hoping to get at least 5 basil plants going.

I also should note that before any of this stuff got put in the ground, I turned my compost pile and filtered out some delicious food for my plantlets into two big plastic bins, then carried the bins over to my garden. I added worm castings and North Haven Gardens's Veggie Food to the mix and then one bag of topsoil each to each bin. I mixed it all up then mixed it into my old bed. When planting, I sprayed the roots of each transplant with Garrett's Juice and once everything was in gave everything a hearty foliar drench. I also sprinkled a little more Veggie Food on everything and then gave everything a good watering. Today it rained a little bit and then dried up, so I mulched. 

They say it takes several years to have gardens going really good. This is my little garden's 3rd year! Let's hope for the best  :)

4 comments:

idyll hands said...

It looks lovely so far! A few years ago I put a lot of time and love into my herb garden and it was beautiful! 2 summers ago I moved so I can't really say what the garden ended up looking like and last summer was a crap shoot. Oh, I put "some" effort into my herb garden, but not like I had in the past. This summer, I've promised myself to spend time on my herb garden and hopefully I'll have something to show for it!

Bookster said...

Beautiful! Great gardeners don't wait for spring! Can't wait to see it all grown up around May or June. :)

MelodieGRamirez said...

I love my pansies. They're normally an easy upkeep and the colors are awesome. I only planted them in a pot this year... dumb me. I don't know how/why, but they all died. It's my first year of issues with pansies. Boo!

Everything looks awesome.

AlanJ40 said...

That garden is off the chain! It's a good thing it didn't snow much down there... you could've had 32 inches in 5 days like us!