3.23.2010

health care

I'm not going to lie - I teared up when I heard that the health care bill had passed. Not because I'm a hippie or a liberal or think Obama is a rock star. I cried because I am glad that future families will not be torn apart by the things that mine was - things like "pre-existing conditions." My mom got sick when I was about 9 and I watched her fight tooth and nail to get understanding and coverage, only to be met with doctors saying she's crazy and fabricating her illness.

It's now called Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, and it's general knowledge that breathing in things like pesticides and toxic mold will create big BIG health problems, that you should burn a house down if you find the kind of mold in there that my mom breathed in at work every day.

But, it wasn't that way a little over a decade ago.

She got dropped from her health insurance, and consequently, so did I. I was a CHIPS kid. I remember all the financial crap we had to wade through because of the heartless insurance companies.

I realize that there's someone at a desk at an insurance company somewhere, trying to think of a loophole as I type this, but I hope that the whole country can come to an understanding that SOMETHING needed to change. I've heard from people that our taxes will go up and standards of care will drop as a result. Because I work in a hospital that is, uh, a charity, I'm really okay with paying more money for more people to be covered by health insurance. I don't see how voting for the bill was not a compassionate, reasonable choice for the whole country.

I'm just hopeful, timidly relieved that families will not have to go through the anguish that mine did.

3 comments:

AlanJ40 said...

I completely agree. I can't see what the big deal is. I mean, how can people say this is taking away people's freedom? Any more than the public school system does? Any more than the roads you take to work every morning do? Plus, we are already paying for all of those people who use the emergency room as their primary care since they don't have insurance. It's crazy...

I think it's sad that it takes such a painful situation for people to realize how beneficial this program can be.

On top of all that, isn't Texas one of those states filing a lawsuit against the federal gov't over this. I guess we'll see where it all goes...

Joanna said...

I am totally with you. I was dropped the second I got diagnosed with cancer. My dad had to fight to keep me insured and since that day I have had to make sure I have no lapses in health care coverage to ensure I don't get excluded with a pre-existing condition.

I constantly worry that if something happen with Clint's job that Madison might have the same problem since she was born with DDH.

And after seeing the kind of care Madison has gotten at Scottish Rite I am amazed by the quality of care and medical professionals they have at the charity-hospital.

So yes, I agree- 100%.

Michelle K said...

Well said, Christina! It is nice to read such positive thoughts on the subject. It is hard to find that around here.