oh, the saving grace of the beautiful women I have the pleasure of calling besties. Tonight Kyle's guy friends came over about 6ish and kidnapped him for a pre-fatherhood "bachelor"-type party. Without telling him where they were going, they hauled him off to the Choctaw Casino up in Oklahoma. When I found out about the idea, I cried. I can't wait to get the full report tomorrow morning :)
So while the guys were out, the girls decided to have our own fun which involved tiaras, GayBingo, and an evening in the Bishop Arts District. I was expecting to go out and having a wonderful time, I was not expecting to be showered with all kinds of love and wonderfulness. I have some kick-ass girlfriends, and am blessed to share life with them.
Which brings me to my next random thought (it's WAY past my bedtime, so I'm delirious, so bear with me) about being present in our own lives. It's been a struggle the last few weeks to actually connect with...anyone. There's all this stuff I want to do and people I want to hang out with but honestly...and I never EVER thought I would EVER be this person...all I want to do when I get home is lay on the couch and let my brain melt into butter while watching television. It is the most counterproductive thing on the planet...I KNOW that the key to my happiness means doing something with my hands and not being inert, but I just want to lay there and not think. In fact, it's been WEEKS since we've seen some of our friends who live TWO MILES AWAY. I've heretofore declared things like this unacceptable.
We as a couple have gotten sucked into this vortex of being exhausted when we get home, and are still trying to balance how to work this two person full-time worker thing and then once you start thinking about not only having a kid but HEY we haven't walked the dog in like a month and a half what the heck and then there are friends and family we haven't seen in ages and how are we supposed to give all we can at work and still have time for our little family when we get home and then connect with everyone? As far as I can tell it means taking a few minutes out of my day to just breathe, relax, and know that it's okay to not give out every last drop at work, to save some for myself. I get the feeling that sanity in parenting is similar...having to fight for what you love and believe in but also know that you need to stay true to yourself and refill that well. It all comes back to self care, doesn't it.
I mean, I'm inclined to think that television is the root of all evil anyway, but any suggestions anyone out there has would be a fascinating read.
No comments:
Post a Comment