12.28.2010

new year new year new year!

I have never been a numbers person. Unfortunately for my SAT scores, I quit at math pretty much in the 4th grade and never really progressed. That landed me squarely in a pre-cal class taught by a coach while all my super smart friends were taking mystical math classes by a cool, genius professor-type high school teacher. 

Whatever. 

My teacher let us out of class to get breakfast tacos. 
"If you get caught it's your ass, but if not, bring me two carne guisada."

I am, however, friends with a lovely lady who has a quirk involving odd numbers. When making copies, there's 3 copies made. Not 2, not 4, but 3. That makes next year, 2011, in prime position to be awesome. 2010 for me was pretty much summed up by a whole lot of transformational growth, amazing miracles, and a whole lot of vomit. I am ready for what next year will bring.

Now that Christmas is over, it's time again to start thinking about New Year's resolutions! My favorite time of year! I had originally planned to do a triathlon, but these last few weeks of recovery (did I really have major surgery?! I can still hardly wrap my mind around it.) have taught me to treat my body gently. I also am ready to get serious about things I dabble in: veggies (the growing and eating) and yoga.

While prego I felt so gross that I ate whatever sounded good, meaty or not. I'm ready to veer back toward the veggies. Abdominal surgery, while ending in a wonderous, beautiful life, has made me appreciate all the things that those muscles do. Breathing, laughing, coughing, laying comfortably in bed, walking, talking, everything pretty much. Rehabilitating those muscles that have been stretched to their limit in order to accommodate a growing life has included a whole lot of rest and an acute awareness of how central they are to my whole body's function. I mean hey, they don't call it "core" for nothing. So yeah. I am going to commit to some regular yoga to focus my brain and to heal my body.

Overall I think the theme of this next year is turning out to be devotion. Devoting myself to spending the time every day to become a better musician, a thoughtful friend, a focused and fun momma and wife, to pray, to handwrite notes, that sort of thing.

Anyone else out there working on their resolutions? Don't bah-humbug these things, friends. We all have things we want to tweak in our lives. Why not set after a goal that is attainable and meaningful?

8 comments:

Sara said...

Good for you for being so focused! I'm so scattered I'm not sure what it is that I need to "devote" my energy to... but a focus on does sould like a good place to start. :)

Suz said...

My new year's resolution: puke less. I mean, I'll add to it, but for now, that's #1. How annoyed were you by the standard response of "still?!" when you told people you were still throwing up? My response is, "I've resigned myself to being a duration-puker. Its worth it." and they still make the shocked face. Your journey has inspired me to feel normal for it, and I thank you for that so much!

Michelle K said...

Great blog, Christina! I love thinking about goals and plans for the new year--I think that it is the therapist in us that has a need for those kinds of goals and plans. I know that I lead my life that way. I am tweaking my running goals for the upcoming year, and I can already see a theme coming (much like your "devoted" line of thoughts). My emerging theme seems to be "building." I had much good success with my goals last year and I want to build on that success to create more experiences. I also want to be a more thoughtful person--I used to write handwritten notes and cards and I seem to have gotten away from that a bit. Happy 2011 to you! I can't wait to hear about your new adventures in mommyhood!

Christina said...

The only thing that annoyed me about people asking about me still puking is that they would normally ask about it during a meal. By the end, the people who were exposed to my issues were work colleagues, and it kind of became a laughing matter ;) I'm glad you can feel normal because of what I went through - I'd like to say it gets better but a) you'd probably want to punch me in the face and b) it doesn't get all the way better until your kid is born. I haven't reunited with calamari yet, but it's been nice to say goodbye to that part of my brain that had to be preoccupied with whether I was going to hurl this tasty treat up later or not. And I had cumin the other day and it was GLORIOUS.

I LOVE your "building" theme, Michelle!

Annie said...

only 4 comments? that just won't do.

Annie said...

5 is too even to be odd..

Annie said...

ah. yes. that is more like it.

Kelli said...

I want to be the best mommy and wife possible. And I want to memorize 24 verses!