I'm a little embarrassed to say this
but
I am not a fan of contemporary Christian music.
There. I said it.
I can't help myself...I love hymns, I love music, I love Jesus...what's the problem? It's a little something I like to call the Jesus Rock Show. I don't know when I started feeling this way or noticing, but it all seems so...contrived. I know, I'm not supposed to be judging, but I can't help but wince in church when the live band isn't connecting at all with the audience and is instead having their own personal...well..Jesus Rock Show...up on stage. Hands lifted, tears streaming, totally feeling it, beautiful...until I look around and much of the audience is mouthing the words, looking around awkwardly, waiting for the first chance to be excused. Or even more awkward, when there's one person in the band having a Moment and the rest of the bandmembers obviously aren't.
Maybe it's a reflection of where I am in my own stumbling meander of faith, this not getting it. You don't know how frustrating it is to be in church, be a musician and someone who is deeply connected to music, and totally counting the minutes until worship is over.
The most awesome worship experience I've had since being in Dallas was when the hubs and I stumbled upon a Church of Christ in our neighborhood that we wanted to check out because it was so close by. Have any of you ever been in a Church of Christ service? I know it gets a bad rap because their whole "no instruments" thing is "weird" (as if one must have ratty jeans and an acoustic guitar to get them some Jesus) but when the congregation exploded into beautiful four-part harmony, our minds were instantly blown. It was an incredible thing.
All that being said, today I discovered an artist I actually like. It's like the Weepies at church. Even if you don't consider yourself particularly "religious" or into the whole church thing, check out JJ Heller for some good, uplifting tunes.

4 comments:
And why should it be so difficult to confess something that's so honest? We're not clones to like the same things so you have the right to not like something that someone else enjoys.
My problem with religious music is that it's so closely bound to religion and unfortunately anything that has to do with religion makes us feel ashamed or sinful if we cannot feel connected to it.
But that's another discussion altogether..
:)
Man, I loooooaaaaaaaaaathe contemporary Christian Pop. That's number 1 on my checklist of things I do not when looking for a church...no praise service/music! The church I'm visiting in Denton is awesome in the music department. Due to the college, there are so many skilled musicians and vocalists around. They contribute the most beautiful classical, madrigal, and acapella pieces to the service. It's exactly the type of music I want to hear when I worship, but....to each their own (I guess ;-))
Your layout keeps changing:) P.S. Confession: I agree. With all the above. And JJHeller is the best. Also, you should read her blog. She is cute and crafty too.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove JJ Heller. Although my hormones have made it impossible for me to listen to "What Love Really Means". I actually really love a lot of contemporary Christian music, but I am 100% with you on the awkward church moment. I have a way powerful worship experience when its just me and a recording of a lot of those songs. There are some songs that I do totally get that powerful worship connection with God in church (and most were recorded by Brooke Fraiser - check her out if you haven't -, Hillsong United, or David Crowder Band) but by and large, I feel super awkward letting loose in church. Maybe its because my relationship with God is so personal and being totally abandoned to worship like that is not something I'm all that comfortable doing in public.
All that being said, one of the highlights of my week every week is watching my kids (my class and Cherie when she's there) dancing and singing songs about Jesus. Their abandon and praise and joy makes my heart absolutely swell. I wish it was easier for adults feel that free.
Post a Comment