8.21.2011

more on the beans

okay - I went a little nutty at the store today and went around checking out the price per pound of beans. A couple different prepackaged bags in the "Mexican" aisle were 7.4 cents and 12 cents per pound respectively and then I went to Whole Foods bulk section and pretty much every kind of bean there was like, .1 cent per pound. FOR DRY BEANS! Still working through last week's hummus but we're introducing baby A to black beans and avocados this week so it is on like donkey kong with the dry beanage. I don't think I'll ever go back. Who thought that something that requires forethought, planning, and money saving would be my new favorite thing.

3 comments:

Alina said...

alright! beans are definately the way to go for a single-income, healthy family like yourselves! though, you might want to see which beans A agrees with and which ones cause her...er...trouble. i've heard that black beans are low of the gas - so that's a good one to start with. happy eating!

btw: cooking your beans in the crock pot all day is a great way to make 'em yummy without having to check on them all the time. it works for an absentminded cook like myself!

Christina said...

thanks for the input girl :) I read a couple places that throwing out the soaking water and starting fresh helps, which I'll definitely be doing.

Nicholas Laning said...

Thanks for the insight Christina. That little bit of extra insight and effort on your part makes a difference.