Winter has been driving me crazy, y'all. It's been cold, my family has been sick, and I've had to resort to throwing open the windows to get fresh air and clear out the funk in my house. To make matters worse, I would pass by my bleak, untended garden and sigh half-heartedly, trying to decide if and when I wanted to plant anything until Springtime. You see, North Texas has had a horribly mild winter, and I keep thinking it's going to freeze. This time last year, it snowed for a week. With every high-of-mid-50s-low-60s days that pass, my doubt grows.
So finally, in a fit of impatience and impulse, I raided my favorite gardening store for cures for the common pre-Springtime blahs. One corner of my garden is rocking the tender greens, herbs, and chard that I planted in the fall, so of course that section is looking super sexy.
Sadly, the other 3/4 of the garden was horrid. Dusty brown old mulch, dead plants, YUCK. Enter: gardening madness:
Here's what I planted:
Edibles
Bok Choy (purple)
Chamomile
Chard (bright lights)
Collard Greens
Collard Greens
Dill (sacrificial)
Dinosaur Kale *
Lavender
Radicchio
Spinach
Thyme
Violas
Purely Aesthetic
Pansies
Ranunculus
Some cute little white flower that I couldn't find the tag for
PHEW! I am finally standing by "love the garden you've got." I will no longer lament the lack of sun needed to grow gorgeous tomatoes and peppers in the hot summer sun. Instead I will eat my fill of collard greens, kale, and herbs.
* The dinosaur kale was my super epic find, and I think I planted either 3 or 4 - I juice a few leaves of this plant every morning with an apple and an orange, as it's supposed to help with thyroid imbalance. Now instead of buying it I can go out and pick me some to juice! If you know anything about me you know how happy this makes me.
* The dinosaur kale was my super epic find, and I think I planted either 3 or 4 - I juice a few leaves of this plant every morning with an apple and an orange, as it's supposed to help with thyroid imbalance. Now instead of buying it I can go out and pick me some to juice! If you know anything about me you know how happy this makes me.
I have heard that mothering and gardening are two difficult things to have coexist...especially when your child is recovering from a cough and it's cold outside and the days are still short and your hubby gets home after it gets dark sometimes. Today I discovered the magical antidote for that: NAPTIME.
Speaking of naptime, I've got miles to go before she wakes up. Anyone out there have plans for your Spring garden?


1 comment:
I am so excited to garden again, last year was the "outside" make-over for our house... craiglist was a great help finding tons of free hostas (a super easy plant to grow up north) so it will be fun to see all my plants come back to life again this spring. We have had no snow up here! And everyone thinks March is going to bring an epic snow storm but I am so ready for spring!
Post a Comment