12.29.2007

things vegetarians love to hear

About a month ago, I decided to go vegetarian. I'm even almost-vegan, because drinking cow's milk has never really been something that made sense to me, and recently I started thinking about what you're eating when you're eating an egg and bleeeegh. I tried veggie-ism when I was in college but was not in the right mindset. I had that whole meat-brainwashed (brain-meatwashed?) thing going on, and giving up meat was a struggle. Fast-forward about 5 or 6 years and I started listening more to my body - I very seldomly ate red meat because of the havoc it wreaked on my intestines, so the hubs and I mostly ate chicken, pork, and fish. About the fish - when I was younger my parents took me to San Fransisco and I, having a sensitive sense of smell, barfed from one end of Fisherman's Wharf to another. It wasn't until I was 20 and working as a waitress for an amazing chef at a pub in London that I started liking more than fish & chips. So I guess I'm not totally vegan because I cannot, allergy-wise, do without local honey, and I'm so in love with fish right now I'd be pissed if I gave it up.

People have some very strong opinions regarding vegetarianism. I've also come to notice that American notions of "health" are completely jacked up. If you ever meet a vegetarian, never EVER ask, "So...how do you get your protein?" unless you want to get punched in the junk. I get this question just about as much as I get, "So....what exactly IS a music therapist, anyway?" The good news is that *gasp!* meat is not the only place to get protein. I mean, really. I don't want to be one of those vegetarians on a crusade to get everyone to give up meat. All I know is that it works for me and if you ask me why I'm going to tell you, but PLEASE don't ask for the sake of arguing.

No comments: