i've (re)started going through this book called The Artist's Way, which is this totally zen approach to unleashing your inner creativity and saying, "to hell with you, inner and outer critics!" It's a long process, so I'm hoping I can actually stick with it. Step number 1 was getting a notebook and making it pretty. Step 2 involves doing this thing called Morning Pages where you sit and write 3 pages every morning, stream of consciousness, whatever, just get it out on the page. This little practice has become a way for me to maintain my sanity and get all my thoughts OUT of my head so I can focus on more important things. That's of course the point of the Pages. I encourage anyone anywhere to do that if you can. I have to wake up a little bit earlier to do them because of school but it is SO very worth it!
We've been studying the Enlightenment in music history lately which was defined by Immanuel Kant as "man's emergence from his self-imposed immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's understanding without guidance from another. This immaturity isself-imposed when its cause lies not in a lack of understanding, but in a lack of resolve and courage to use it without guidance from another." I think that pretty much describes my whole state of being lately - especially since turning 25. I like to think that this time in my life is my own Enlightenment - rethinking my values, traditions, which will hopefully lead to a new outlook on the relationship I have with myself, between me and other people, and between me and God.
Oh, and happy Made Up Commercial Holiday!
:o)
No comments:
Post a Comment