2.10.2008

Austin fabulousness

My trip to Austin can be summed up in one word: educational. Not only because I went to check out a prospective internship site and learned way more about myself professionally and even music therapy than I had anticipated, but because in general I learned things about myself, the people around me, and even the city of Austin. I felt more at home this time around. I'm not sure "at home" is the right term, it can only be described like how I feel when it's cold outside and I take a drink of warm tea. I met up with some friends for a happy hour and it was like reuniting with family. When we went dancing later that night I recognized dancers from my freshman year of college who would be there every Wednesday at Antone's. Hopefully one day I'll have that same sense of community here in Dallas.

I somehow managed to see nearly everyone I wanted to see without kicking my own ass, which is generally what happens with all the running around I usually do. I found it easier to say no in order to maintain my sanity and to stay true to myself. It felt awesome to do something nice for myself on my own time, including wandering around South Congress and dipping into the local artisan shops. I could live down there. I think the vitality of that little stretch of road really reflects the soul of the city. Even the waiters and waitresses were friendlier than anywhere else I've lived. Except maybe New Braunfels. Jeez.

Saturday was probably the perfect day - I woke up at my friends' apartment in the hills overlooking the Austin hill country, drove to my cousin's house to relax, and then took a walk with my best friend Haley at Town Lake. After the walk, we drove to South Congress to enjoy some pizza at Home Slice, an establishment I HIGHLY recommend, along with the pizza margherita. I then attended a beautiful SAI baby shower for two dear sisters who are both soon having boys!

Now I am back home, catching up on schoolwork and looking forward to the weeks and months ahead, which will be chock-full of thesis stuff, internship, and a new house! Hooray for growing up!

No comments: