3.25.2008

eh?

Spring Break is over, and it flew by.  We went to Arkansas to fish but had far less luck than last time, as there had been mega storms recently.

There were several highlights of the week, mainly my father in law being doped up on painkillers from a very recent shoulder operation and the quote, "Theresa, take this sandwich" to which Theresa replied, "What sandwich, dad?" because he was not, in fact, holding a sandwich, nor was there any sort of sandwich nearby.

I actually had to force myself to relax - every time a thought of school popped up I pushed it away with thoughts of trout and how cool the water that I was wading in was.  I have 5 weeks of school and a thesis left and then I am done with schooling for a very, very long time.  I can't wait. 

I've started packing for moving and I came across a box of high school/college stuff...old love letters and graduation cards, which I mostly tossed, except for the one from my first boyfriend where he tried to use the word "quixotic" in a sentence about me and graduation cards from my grandpa who died recently.  Not recently, but, well, recently.  I made the mistake of opening a journal from the last part of my relationship with THE ex-boyfriend and I relished in the sentence "I have the feeling our relationship is dying..."  I threw that journal away, it was mostly about him and made me very sad because things were ending.  Reading all the highlights from my junior and senior year put me in kind of a funk, and then I pulled out my hubs's Christmas present to me a few years ago of all the Emails we've ever sent to each other starting with one back in March of 2002.  I sat and read the whole thing.  It's not one of those lovely dovey chronicles of puke but every bit of our first awkward moments, through the tumultuous time of me being in Spain and then London and then his job training.  It made me smile all the way down to our toes, especially the last quote in the book that I added to an  Email - "Things do not change, we change" (Aristotle).  

I've been thinking a lot about that today, people changing. Expectations and motivations and everything in between, which brings me back to being done with school in that I'm hardly going to know what to do with myself when I don't have schoolwork plus SAMT meetings, theses, or anything scholastically related to be obligated to.  To be honest I'm really looking forward to it, to doing all the scrapbooking/sewing/sending letters to my friends/baking/cooking/painting/maybe finally taking that pottery throwing/photography/creative writing/gardening class that I've been thinking about for the last almost decade.  Phew.

No comments: