4.30.2008

last week of school! FOREVER!

Well, probably not forever, I do plan on getting my Ph.D. some day.  I just found out that UTSA may be starting a new music psychology Ph.D. soon, so I'll have to keep my eye on that!

Today I was completely floored by a music therapy experience.  I was toward the end of a session with my bilingual PPCD kiddos, the group that receives music therapy in only English.  I brought a chicken puppet and some baby chick finger puppets so we could do a song called "Los Pollitos Dicen" that I had translated to English from Spanish.  When I got all the way through the song the first time, suddenly this cute little girl started singing the song in SPANISH and the whole rest of the class chimed in.  Why is this a big deal?  It's sort of pivotal to my paper, that you cannot suppress culture, that it's part of who we are, and by doing music therapy only in English with clients who speak another language is just not going to cut it any more.  I was seriously moved to tears on my way home because it was really beautiful.  

I'm going to go paint my living room - hooray!  The hubs I have been going round and round and round on colours and we've finally settled on cool for the living room and warm for the kitchen.  We've also chosen to use Benjamin Moore's Eco Spec, which has lower VOC's.  I'll post pics soon!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

sounds very soothing! i wish i could help apply the color!
i love working with ppcd kids! i totally feel you and your emotions;)

daina said...

Why am I emothional about this, it has nothing to do with me...my goodness, an awesome experience, I'm sure!
Congrats on getting so mych done in your house!