I am moving to Austin on Thursday. Packing commences tomorrow because today I am recovering from a Memorial Day/Weekend camping trip that was LOTS of fun, but I drank beer and ate meat in the same day and it's wreaking unholy havoc on my intestines. Lesson learned.
K and I went to Ikea and got me something to sleep on...I've gotta sew up a cover for the little futon (which will by the way be on sale in 6 months) but my machine is still packed up, so I'll wait 'til I get stuff set up and can make a run to the fabric store. I'm taking a very minimalist approach to this living situation - the room is not all that large and quite frankly all I need besides somewhere to sleep is a dresser, a closet, and maybe a lamp or two. I get to paint it, too, so I have to decide on that colour. Hm.
Anyway, I cried for the first time last night about not being able to vent and cuddle with the hubs every night...sometimes I think I'm totally insane for doing this. Then I think "Hey - I've never lived on my own before, this'll be a grand adventure." Something somewhere in between is where I'm sure I will land. I decided on Austin because well, I love Austin, duh. It will be so interesting to get to experience the city not as a student with band and class obligations. There are some other really important things to remember. First, I have little to no experience in the psychiatric arena. This setting will have me way outside my comfort zone and hopefully will provide me with opportunities to grow. Speaking of growing, I will be by myself, yes, but I have to finish my thesis, study up for my orals, and also study for my music therapy board certification. This will give me the opportunity to develop professionally and personally and not have to worry about all the little things that go along with having a house, a dog, a husband - cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, taking care of the dog, picking up after myself and someone else. Do not misunderstand me...I thoroughly enjoy being married and all the little things it entails...I am just...easily distracted :) and if I don't have a house to futs with, I'll get much more done in terms of schoolwork. Especially because 9 times out of 10 if I have something to do and K says "Hey let's watch a movie/go eat somewhere/work on stuff in the garden" I'm going to do that and procrastinate on school stuff. Finally, I'll be done in December. That right there is motivating me in so many ways it's almost difficult for me to endure these three days and just get started already.
So yeah - working at the nut house. I'm sure I'll have lots of great stories.
2 comments:
Seriously?! Thursday?! You need to call me when you have a free moment! Miss you:)
seriously. I miss you!
Post a Comment