7.08.2008

have you ever...

done hot yoga with 49 other sweaty individuals in North Austin with a teacher guy who at the beginning of the class you thought "hey he's kind of cute in a granola-eating-hemp-wearing-kinda-way" and at the end of class contemplating running up to him in the middle of shivasina and ripping his too-big earrings out?

'cos I have. And it sucked. I made it maybe halfway through the class and I got really, REALLY dizzy so had to sit out most of it. I would sit, take some deep breaths, then try to get up again only to be accosted by MORE dizziness and at one point some blood pounding in my head so hard I couldn't sit up straight. Of course, there was a $28 for a month of unlimited yoga deal going on and I shopped like a woman ie: figured HEY! Isn't all Bikram the same (I looove my studio in Richardson/Dallas) and also an acquaintance of mine is launching an "assault on (her) body with (her) body" which sounds like a lovely idea to me...I'm tired of making excuses for my weight, tired tired tired of not liking what I see in the mirror, tired of saying "well maybe next year/month/week..."

What I should've said in the Fat Genes post was that Carlos and I discussed that we come from a fatty family. It's true - lots of my extended relatives have had what they call "the surgery" (gastric bypass) and unfortunately I have only heard of one who has really changed her life/eating habits/way of viewing herself as a result. I don't think I'll ever let myself get that far, but my point is that if I want to go in the skinny direction under my own power, I have all the tools I need right here...my hands, my brains, my legs, and my love of the outdoors. The thing that is most difficult for me is the eating. I know I must exercise portion control, I know that I must workout at least 30 minutes every SINGLE DAY or else everything goes to crap. Carlos let me in on the secret that we just have to work a lot harder than everyone else does at this losing-weight thing because of our fatty fat genes. I'm also convinced that our thyroid issues that run in the family also have something to do with it.

The other, kind of shallow thought that I have is that right now I weigh around 165. I just Googled "average pregnancy weight gain" and it's between 25 and 35 pounds and I just really REALLY don't ever want to weigh over 200 pounds, or anywhere near it. So here goes. Assault time.

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Don't worry about the number you gain during pregnancy.... sometimes those numbers are out of your control!!

Suz said...

So, someone asked Jen Hernandez if she was Hispanic, and she goes, "Yea, I'm half Mexican." and he said, "Um, the bottom half!" It's not just your genes, it's also your race. Dude. Look at Salma Hayek!! Mexico breeds booty.

I think you're ridiculously beautiful, and I happen to love your body.

If it makes you feel any better about the weight gain, my ob told me (when we were first trying, back around Christmas) that he would only be comfortable with me gaining 10-15 pounds. Every woman and pregnancy is different. And just so you know, please tell me as soon as you get pregnant because I totally wanna buy you the Gabby Reece pregnancy workout video. She did it real time with her last pregnancy and it changes the work out for each month. I don't know anyone else who would have fun with that kind of thing but you.

I love you so way big time.

Melodie Ann said...

Whatever. You're prefect! Trust somebody from serious fat genes herself... and who's married to a doctor and who thinks that only about 1/2 of what they say isn't total bs... it doesn't matter what the scales say as long as you feel good. (But hey, I'm trying to lose 10 lbs myself. So, you know... lol)

P.S. We should talk about the baby situation sometime. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

rytrgal said...

Seriously, don't think about how much you should or will gain during pregnancy. It's the only time you'll ever be able to eat all the sweets and carbs in the world and have a perfectly rational excuse. And you're totally freaking hot right now. FMCB, remember?

Anywho, good luck with the body assault if that's your choosing!

The Davis Duet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Davis Duet said...

I am here for you! I come from fat genes too, along with heart disease, diabeties, and hypOthyroidism. I have to watch everything or else I doomed to a fat and early death! Honestly- you just have to watch your calories and stuff. Burn more then you take in! Keep a 600-1000 calorie deficit the fat is history! Also look at your body as a loaner from God. You should return to Him in the healthy (sometimes) shape He gave it to you. Maybe we could keep each other accontable, even from 5 hours away- Twitter is a great thing! I suck at giving in to great, horrible foods! I ate potato fries yesterday with a fried chicken sandwhich from Chick-fil-a... now we all know they have a much better selection then that. I just gave in. We could twitter all we eat... lol. :-) I don't know. I love you though and I want to support you. If you're not happy with your body, then I say go for it, do whatever it takes!

Christina said...

perhaps I should qualify - it's not that I hate my body, I just...love it enough to do what's best for it and right now I know losing 10-20 pounds would be the best thing I can do for it :)

What sucks is that I eat really healthy, I don't eat fast food, I don't eat fried stuff, I rarely eat meat, unless it's the best option in the situation.

I am totally cool with my heritage breeding booty, I actually am in love with my shape and my body. I just know that I could be way more fit than I am.

Also, I know that whenever I get off birth control that I'm going to lose like 20 pounds.

Thank you all for your love :)