7.13.2008

Operation QFA.

Yes, friends. Operation Quit F*ing Around.

I went to Houston this past weekend for *yet* another wedding and had a fantastic time just relaxing and doing net to nothing all day Saturday with the hubs and good friends. PLUS I met sweet baby Caroline...we did some hanging out, smiling together, and I taught her how to stick her feet in her mouth. Quite a productive Saturday :)

Caroline's momma is one of those girlfriends you always wish you had, especially when the girls you've previously known have been not very good at being friends. She's always had a knack for keeping me honest...I think the first thing she told me when I met her was she threatened my life if I ever broke Kyle's heart (they've been friends since high school). We got to talking about how uber organized she's gotten since having the baby and I had a good two hours to chew on one statement: "I was always really organized at work so I realized that I was capable of it, I was just lazy in my personal life." It quite literally struck me how true that is for me, how I've gotten amazing at making excuses. I'm great at excuses. Late for work? Traffic. Always, whether it was because I woke up at 7:30 or didn't get to bed until 1am the night before. Don't want to workout? It's hot/humid/my knee hurts/I nearly barfed last time. Woke up late? Not 'I decided 30 more minutes was critical to my survival and the survival of the human race' but my alarm didn't go off. Seriously. If you've got a situation, I've got an excuse. I don't think I've ever told anyone that, and it feels kinda good to get it off my chest.

I have been frustrated lately because I do a lot of talking and not a lot of walking in a few areas of my life. I need to get my spiritual life back on track...it's been a zillion years since I've been to church and there is a aching, Jesus-sized hole in my heart right now. I could post on this for hours and hours, about how figuring out my own religion/etc. has been really interesting, especially since going to Spain, how different Kyle's and my upbringing was really different and how finding a church that satisfies the hippie in me and the conservative in him has been quite a trip. It all really boils down to me knowing and realizing that I have no doubt in my mind that I love God and Jesus and I always will, but listening to other people/books/opinions on how I should live my life just aren't really doing it for me. The problem is that the tools I used in high school and college aren't doing it for me either. So now what? I don't know.

Work-wise, I could be really digging in a whole lot more. I could be researching more, being more organized with planning my sessions, practicing more, reading up on psychiatric music therapy, and so on. I think part of this is realizing that this is my life's passion and I could be really, really, REALLY good at what I do, and it kind of freaks my crap out. Like, I want to be the brainy girl, but so many people throughout my life have doubted me, and that stuff stings. It's this crazy cycle of believing in myself, being confident in my instincts and being okay with making mistakes and then being wrought with doubt over every interaction, activity and written word...to the point that it nearly paralyzes me. And then it cycles back. Weird.

Also, I'm a disorganized piece of work, but just in my personal life, which is all kinds of frustrating. When I was younger my family shamed my "tail" - the trail of destruction I would leave through the house as I wandered through it during the day. These days I'm more organized, but I'll still lose things like my keys, my wallet, some important document so I can graduate. My friend Haley once asked, "Is it frustrating, being you?" The answer (as I'm sure I've written before in this blog) is YES. GOD YES YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

You might be wanting to shake me because I've got this misperception of myself, but trust me, I don't. My first inclination is to download yet another episode of gossip girl and watch it 'til I get sleepy, but I know I've got laundry to do, reading to take care of, and a journal to start.

In college I hit a rebellious patch where I would make excuses for my behavior based on the crazyness of my life. Kelli said a phrase yesterday that echoed what I said when I got tired many years ago of hurting myself and those around me: "I don't have to be that girl." I came home and nearly panicked because there are some deadlines I have ignored, important documents I have to find or else I cannot continue working on my thesis, and by golly, I freaking need some more work clothes, but have been too scared/lazy to face any of it and in the mean time have been running around having a fantastic social life in Austin but have been kind of ignoring the nagging feeling that something's off, that as grownup and awesome as I think I am, there's still a lot of work to be done. I guess this is what I get for praying for humility. Sigh. So, I made a list and I started crossing things off that list. I even went to Kohl's and bought some new black capris because my old ones are literally coming apart at the seams.

I figure that I can only go forward.

8 comments:

Suz said...

I know it doesn't help when you get back to Dallas (and trust me, I learned from experience that the Dallas church scene is horrible, especially since we were trying to find a balance for the liberal in him and the conservative in me) but while you're in Austin, give Gateway a try. That's where we went there, and seriously, its the greatest church I've ever been to. It's totally Bible based, just talking about Christian fundamentals, with contemporary music. I loved it. I love my church in Katy, but I loved that one more.

Now for the real comment...

Congratulations, you're normal. I've discovered that being in the middle of your 20's is the worst, because when you're in your early 20's, especially while you're still in college, everyone is good at those excuses. Everyone has better reasons for why things happened than the truth. Then you hit your mid-20's and you realize that you can't hide behind that "I'm a new adult" or "you're supposed to live it up and make mistakes in college!" cute thing and you are actually accountable for things. I'm really proud of the changes you're making for yourself, in every aspect of your life. I think that if you ever reach a point in your life where you're not striving to improve something, then you're actually already dead. You really are that awesome, Christina, but you're not perfect. It's different, and that's the type of humility that should be prayed for. There's nothing wrong with being aware that you're awesome. It's all about balancing that with the awareness of opportunities to improve.

I think you're on the right path, and I'll be praying for you that you'll stick with it. And I know God's gonna bless you out of your mind in the mean time.

Love you!

Christina said...

i mean seriously Suz, have I told you lately that I love you?

Anonymous said...

A Thanksgiving Psalm
On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence. (See link to YouTube video)

Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're (Christina Brandon is) God's people (PERIOD..a PROMISE), well-tended sheep.

And now for something Psalm-like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1b6b2OicE

Peace

Melodie Ann said...

Oh honey bunny. Welcome to your quarter-life crisis. Let me tell you, you are not in these feelings alone.

Jonathan and I've been trying to find a church together for like 3 years. Yeah.

I have to get new work clothes too. Once I get mine and Jonathan's finances situated, we should meet at the outlet mall and get some "good" clothes. :o) Hey, Michael Koors outlet is still the MK! I guess I need a new job to wear those clothes to first, but you know. My clothes look way to young for the... twenty... ::mumbling:: something I am now. Not to mention the 10 lbs I've gained since I've been married.

The way I see it, I'm older than you, and I still feel exactly the same way as you. Motivation is a hard thing that comes in bursts. Maybe it's the getting older thing... the looming 30s... but I hear you.

Christina said...

whoever you are, anonymous, that video made my day :)

Christina said...

dude Mel, I totally feel you...I started getting rid of my college hoochie clothes and then have realized like...what the heck is my going out style? What is my professional style?

I'm totally down for shopping. Always.

Kelli said...

I love that we can help keep each other accountable in certain areas in our lives... :) You are doing an awesome job at your internship and I am so proud of you for taking the leap..... and being organized feels good once you get used to it! :)

idyll hands said...

Funny that you mention your going out style and your professional style. I've found that sometimes it's best to keep your going out style clean and nice just like your professional style. You never know who you will run into and YES, appearance is that important.

I work at a place where you can move up if you shine, so I was able to shed the excuses early in hopes that I was promoted. Incentive always helps.