...really really screws with the traffic. It also made me think of my first day of college and then I read a post that inspired what follows:
Dear Christina of 7 years ago,
Welcome to your first day of college! I know the room you're staying in is ridiculously tiny, but you'll so make it work :) and I know you don't appreciate it yet, but being so close to West Campus and Kinsolving Late Nite will make for some super fun nights with your roommate. You don't know it yet, but you'll realize at the end of this year that it's not going to work out with this roommate but you'll still live with her next year anyway and then you'll live with someone who right now you think you'd never live with 'cos she's so dorky but guess what! she's going to be your best friend and bridesmaid in 5 years.
That's right, I said it, you're getting married! But, not to your boyfriend of the past 3 years. When it comes time to let him go (and let's face it, you already know that now is the time), it's going to really totally suck, but let him go gracefully. And, have at least one real big fight with him and get out all that stuff you want to tell him because you'll just hold it in and then one day seven years from now when you see a picture of him kissing his brand new baby boy all that stuff will become insignificant but you'll sort of still wish you'd have said it.
Anyway, I know that you're so not the girl that wants to get married right out of college but this guy you've already met (doesn't that just drive you nuts?!) is totally the man you've been praying for. You won't realize it at first, and you're going to screw up pretty huge, but this man will ultimately save your life and show you what real, unconditional love is supposed to be like. Also, you get some really amazing in-laws as part of the deal :)
You've fought so hard for your place at the UT School of Music and I just want to let you know how proud of you I am! For the love of all things good and holy, DO YOUR THEORY HOMEWORK AND STUDY FOR MUSIC HISTORY and just to make life a little easier, practice your clarinet at least an hour every day. That way, when you decide that you want to get your master's degree in music therapy, you'll be even more amazing than you already are and you'll be able to mean it when you tell that flute professor off. Don't get wrapped up in all the egos and the competition, just put your head down and do what you've been given ridiculous amounts of talent to do: play and use that fantastically smart brain of yours.
Next year is going to be really hard and confusing for you and I've got three words for you, "Just say no." Learn how to be just friends, it'll so be worth it in the end. Call your best friend Haley more often, really get into SAI and don't be afraid to let those girls into your world. Oh, and minor in psychology. Either that or don't wait 'til the last minute to do that MIS project for that business degree you won't need because of your fabulous husband. Also, know when to cut and run from a toxic friendship. It'll save you some big heartbreak. Make those Dr. Hanna fan club shirts you're gonna want to make. Don't waste your time on drama or people who are nasty to you for no reason. Keep going to that little Spanish church God leads you to. Go visit your grandpa in Florida and at the very least, in 2006 when you get that feeling you should go down to Florida and skip out on work, I'm begging you to go. GO.
I know you're hurt and angry and searching and hopeful and girl let me tell you - all those things you've been hurting over: family, love, loss, friendships - you're going to make it and you will be a strong, beautiful woman because of it. One last thing: don't be so uptight - really live in and enjoy the moment and for goodness sakes STUDY! Mostly, the good news is that you'll get there (here?) so remember that through the bumps and valleys that I'm totally rooting for you, and again, you're going to make it.
Love,
You.
5 comments:
I like this post. It's super cute (just like you!)
Why am I crying?
I love a great letter... :)
I already said this to Melodie, but this is fabulous.
I'm totally going to copy you and tell my 18 year old self something tomorrow.
I suppose you made two of us cry. So much as happened since I was 18. I left UT to be with a guy, went back to UT and broke up with the guy, slammed his hand in the door, called the police on him, and hid at my new boyfriends house from him, then he was killed in an accident and I never really got to say goodbye. I would tell my 18 year old self to cut my losses, say goodbye, and ignore the drama... okay, I have to go blog about this now.
thanks friends :)
Post a Comment