9.17.2008

A is for Awkward!

My good friend and partner in grevious crimes flew in for a conference yesterday, and I seriously couldn't have been more excited to see her. We met in college - she was a friend of my cousin's at his Rock Star University and we hit it off first when she came with him to a Scabs show and then later when she randomly called me up and asked if I wanted to drive with her to Austin for ANOTHER Scabs show from the DFW area. We've been besties ever since and I think it's funny because two of my closest girls both grew up on ranches, both have dads named Ronnie, and have both been asked if they're my sister.

We decided to meet at Lucky Lounge because my roomies were playing there last night. I thought I saw the bartender I knew who works there so after saying hi to the roomses we worked our way to the end of the bar where she was but oops, not her. So we order beverages and the guy on my left turns to me and starts chatting me up. Now, I have to stretch back into memory to remember a time that a guy this legitimately hot and not at all crazy or creepy random stranger chatted me up. He was 29, went to Columbia in NY and had just moved here last week to coach a rowing team. We keep talking and ended up in the Most Awkward Conversation Ever.

Me: "Yeah I would love to stay in Austin - I love it here - but I have to go back to Dallas in December."
Guy: "Why do you have to go back? You could stay here, find a job."
Me: "Well, I just bought a house up there...it's where I went to school and..."
Guy: "You...bought a house? Really? With...well with like friends or like..."

Wait for it...

Me: "With my husband."

Guy: "You're MARRIED?! How OLD are you?!"

Apparently he thought I was 21, which prompted an explanation of my mother and father's complete inability to age whatsoever, and then he demanded a closer look at my left hand. I guess to be fair I wasn't wearing the Bling but still. Silver band. Pay attention, buddy. What's unfortunate is that he would've been a cool guy to hang out with, show around Austin, hook him up with my single girlfriends and all, but all conversation after that point was pretty much shattered...and besides that, he was after all a 29-year-old sharking a 21 year old. Classy.

On another round of the club, a guy from across the room catches my eye, comes over and asks, "What would you say if a man told you he would marry you without a prenup?"

Let's take this moment to pause and use three of my favorite letters: WTF!? First off, who told that guy that that was flattering and or would work at all, and second...whAT?

I replied, "I'd tell him that I've already been married for two years." He got this AAHHHAAAA look on his face and shook my hand and said congratulations etc. etc. In pondering it I've decided I should have said, "I'd say he was about 7 years too late" or "I'd introduce him to my girlfriend" and point to my friend. That would've been hilarious.

Speaking of girlfriends, after that we worked our way up to the stage to dance and wave to the roommmates when I get the feeling that someone is trying to dance all up on me. I tried to think of a more intelligent way to say that, but I don't really...no...not any other way to say that. I turn around and it's a GIRL. Not only a girl, but a girl like a foot shorter than me in my heels. I even turned around to her once and told her to back up.

At this point I'm sure you're thinking "Surely the awkwardness ends here."

Right.

When the band took a break we walked outside to hang out with the Cool Band Guys and their mindless groupies, one of which comes up to my cousin and asks if she can lick his head. Yes, you read that right. So, she gives his noggin a big ol' lick and I turned him around by his shoulder and said "Really? Really." Lick Girl explained that she had a bald head fetish so she just HAD to do it, to which I replied, "OH! Well then that was TOTALLY appropriate!"

She walked off.

I would take this moment to go on a tirade about groupies and how much I hate them, but actually I kind of enjoy the lengths they go to. I also think it's hilarious that they all get this look on this face like how DARE you go anywhere NEAR my TARGET when in fact me and said target are, uh, related. But who am I to spoil the fun.

Overall, the night ended up exactly as I'd expected it to because my friend and I have this weird kind of stuff happen to us every time we're within 5 fabulous feet of each other. She's in town 'til Sunday - Austin better watch out :o)

3 comments:

daina said...

Seriously, I'm laughing hysterically right now.

Suz said...

Know how people have a list of things to do before they die? I think "have a ridiculous groupie experience" should for sure be on there. One of my girlfriends and I ended up in John Mayer's dressing room drinking beer with his drummer. No, John was not there. Anyway, we come walking out near the buses with him and if looks could kill... the tube top army GLARED us down as we got hugs and headed back over towards the bus. Don't they know they're retarded?

You're fabulous and I love you.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe some skank liked my brother's head. And you saw it.
EEEEWWwwww...

I love you, little Tuna...