On NPR this morning they were talking about Liberty University, a fundamentalist Baptist university in Virginia. The issue is that they're trying to keep Virginia a Republican state and therefore are working really hard to get all 10,000 students to vote because 80-90% of them are Republican and while they cannot say "vote for McCain" they can say that it's important to vote, cancel class, and hold a results viewing party. Two soundbites that stuck out to me the most were these:
Interviewer to an Obama supporter: "So when they find out you support Obama, what is the first question they ask?"
Obama supporter: "Well the first thing they ask is if I'm a Christian."
Second was a girl talking about how McCain has lived his whole life in sacrifice and under Christian values and that's something that all Christians should consider when voting. (Um, you'd think she'd be voting for the man who's stayed faithful to his wife and family his whole life and NOT a man who cheated on his wife and then left her after she was disfigured in a car wreck.)
2 comments:
My grandpa asked me how I could be Democrat and also Christian once. I was furious. Thankfully, my Republican dad came to my defense and said "Even I voted for Kennedy"
It was the first time my dad defended my views that differ from his.
yeah, I don't understand the whole "right is Right" thing anymore. Admittedly I was originally conflicted about being a Christian and supporting liberal ideals, and maybe that comes from growing up in the church that I did, but THAT also is a big tie to the intolerance I have toward the ridiculous amount of hypocrisy I see from the Right and that I've seen in the church I grew up in which was also suuuper conservative.
I mean, just because I am pro-choice doesn't mean I'm pro-baby killing.
Post a Comment