I can only speak from what I know, so here goes. Buying veggies that are in season, seeking out farmers markets, and cutting down on meat consumption saves you a LOT of money. I actually wish I had become more veggie loving when I was in college because I would have saved a TON of money.
I thought the most interesting part of that article was in the last sentence, "today we aren't necessarily cutting back on the quantity we eat, but the quality." I think that's a shame, really. I do know that we as Americans just flat out eat way too much and people are unwilling to give up things that are bad for them just because they love them. For example, I read in Vegetarian Times about vegetarians who don't eat enough veggies. It happens. So, a good fix is that if you love pasta, and you're going to cook 2 cups of it, why not substitute 1 cup of it with say, zucchini? You're still getting the same amount of food, less calories, and it's a way healthier option.
2 comments:
I think it is so nuts the junk that gets put into our bodies. Especially in our kids. I am trying to be SO CONSCIOUS about what Caroline eats!
Seriously, Kel, I'm going to be a nutcase when we have kids and I have to feed them.
Post a Comment