So today, I did something different - I hopped in the pool, and then just started swimming. I would switch from free to breast stroke on the 5s and 0s, just to mix things up a little bit and catch my breath. I realized that because swimming is different running for me in that I am a way stronger swimmer, I would have to pay more attention to my body. That's the benefit of having a tri under my belt already, I know that I need to train consistently (because last year I sooooo didn't) and I need to listen, listen, listen to my body. So, I just started at good old #71 and counted all the way down to #1, trying to go at a pace where I wouldn't have to stop. I did it in about 49 minutes.
I'm so not a type A person...I don't play games to win, I play them to play. In fact, if I'm playing with people who enjoy winning (coughcoughKYLEcough) I'll do things just to thwart them. I have to find the joy and the happiness in everything I do. It's why I garden, why I hate cleaning unless I know it'll make the hubs happy, why I play the piano, why I study to become a music therapist.
In doing this training business, I've learned that it is far more important to listen to my body than to pay attention to what my pace is. If I get on the road or in the pool consistently, I'll be a faster runner/biker/swimmer. The point is not how quickly I can get to the end, it's how much fun I'm having getting there.
Fun Fact of the Day: Did you know that I live like 3 miles from where Lance Armstrong used to work? Yup, the Richardson Bike Mart is just down the road from me.
2 comments:
Thanks for the help! I'll def check into that stuff.
This is a great post. I used to date a certain someone (he'll remain nameless) who would get sooooo upset if he would start losing. It was not fun doing anything competitive with him OR in the vicinity of him. I was always in it just for fun - if I lose, I lose, at least I gave it my best :)
Post a Comment