3.15.2009

General Malaise

I just had an interesting conversation with a girlfriend of mine. A statement she made was something along the lines of, "It's not that I'm not a happy person, I just haven't been happy for awhile." Another friend who was with us said, "I just feel like I really haven't been myself for the last three years." I could identify with that...with a general sense of heaviness...maybe mild depression but nothing really debilitating, just...blegh.

We came to the conclusion that probably most of America is feeling like that with the economic downturn. It makes me wonder if there's been a recent rise in individuals seeking mental health resources in the way of psychologists and counselors. We all also happen to be in our twenties and realizing that we're in a transitional point in our lives. It means taking better care of ourselves, protecting those bedtimes, being conscious about what we choose to put in our bodies, taking time for ourselves to think or to pray, drinking less alcohol, mindfulness about routine and chores around the house and how we want to live. I should also mention that 2 of the 3 of us in the conversation have been pursuing graduate school (master's and doctoral degrees) the last few years and that stress adds up. It's a tough place to be because as a nation and a generation we are beginning to rethink how we've done things and sometimes that involve realizing that those things don't really do it for us any more. The next step is the most important I think - figuring out what exactly does make us happy and pursuing those like crazy.

"When i was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." 1 Corinthians 13:11

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I feel like over the past two years I have reached a point to where I am happier than I have ever been. It feels so great to understand that there is no thing or quick fix that will make me happy. The more I have pursued God, the more joyful my life has become. All else I need is my family and my friends, and the rest will fall into place no matter this economic crisis.

I hope that your girlfriends can find true happiness.

Christina said...

To be fair, I think you're in a different place in your life than any of us in the conversation were because you've got sweet Caroline and are over the overthinking, preparing for what's next part of your life and you really embrace being joyful in where you are. I think it's a beautiful thing - you're an effortless, confident woman and mother and God's love totally shines through you.

Also, the return of sunshine today definitely made all the little problems at least 50% better :)

Mini-Martha said...

i feel the same way and daniel and i were just talking last night about how we miss our college friends. we've had a hard time meeting people here because almost all of the people daniel works with are at least 10 years older than us and have kids.

enjoy your family and friends like i know you do. i think we're at a point in our lives where it's easy to grow apart and feel a little uneasy about what we should do next. and enjoy writing your thesis -- being in school is stressful but so is job searching ;)

Kelli said...

I have you tricked if you think that I am effortless and confident. :) Any of that you see definitely came from above. Well I hope you sweet girls can rest assured that it can be/will be better. I have been in that same spot. I meant what I said before to be encouragement... I don't think it came out that way. Just said a prayer that you gals can seek the things God has planned for you and find true happiness in that!