What in the world made you want to become a musician in the first place?
I either wanted to be a doctor, pastor or musician. Oddly enough I found the things I desired in medicine and ministry to come together as one in music. I can write songs and use them as instruments of healing in the lives of the people I love.
I met Becky on a Campus Crusade trip to Spain when we were in college and next thing I heard, she was marrying you! I enjoyed the songs on your CDs that were obviously about your relationship because they were honest. What’s y’alls story?
We dated for three months before getting engaged. But we knew of each other for years. We went to junior high and high school together but never noticed. She was the hot popular girl who drove a Jeep Wrangler and I was the punk kid who drove 1984 Mercury. We didn’t really run in the same circles. Once we were both home for the holidays. It was love at 3,872nd sight. We don’t notice each other until exactly the right time and we got married within the year.
You’re right. A lot of my songs start from Becky and me. We’ve got a great marriage, but we work hard at it. We want to use our mistakes to teach other people what to avoid if at all possible.
A family member once described his songwriting process as “someone turning a radio on in his head.” How does your songwriting process go?
It’s funny; it really has little to do with music. My greatest inspiration comes from, but isn’t limited to, things like Grey’s Anatomy. Its writers are geniuses. Their story lines are so specific yet so universal. That’s what I want to do with my songs. If a circumstance in life strikes me and makes me feel a strong emotion, I try to capture it in a song. If music didn’t move me the way it does, I’d be content in any profession that provides people cathartic outlets for healing.
On a scale of 1-100, how much do you like playing live shows? What’s your favorite and least favorite part?
100. Some guys I know love the studio and play shows out of necessity. I’m the opposite. I’m intrigued by moments. So far I’ve only been able to capture so much in the studio. But at a concert you can create a moment with a song that moves people. There is something special about a live show that allows for emotional moments.
My least favorite part? Setting up gear and tearing it down.
How do you think your style has evolved since you started recording? What have been your biggest influences in this?
One listen to each album shows a pretty major evolution in the sound. But, more than anything, my style has changed because I know what I want to say. Every artist has to have a message. Early on, for me, it was “hey, listen to me.” Now it has more to do with truly singing meaningful things to people. I try to tap into those universal pains and bring hope to them.
Where do you want to be personally and professionally in the next 5 years?
I hope to have strong followings outside the Rocky Mountain region. I’d like to double the amount of albums I sell every year. If a label opportunity comes along, I’ll explore it, but it will not be a barometer of my success.
Because I’m also from a small town and can totally relate to “Gotta Get Out” I was wondering, how do you think coming from a small town has shaped your worldview?
Great question. Yes, I give Lubbock a hard time in the same manner I give Ben Robie a hard time. Jokes at his expense are entertaining but ultimately I love the guy. I owe my ability to hold meaningful conversations to my Lubbock upbringing. I used to joke that people from larger towns have more to entertain them. In Lubbock, all we had was conversations. We sit in a room and talk for hours on end. That would be our evening activity. To answer your question, it shaped my worldview by helping value conversations with people.
Why Utah?
Google it and look at the pictures.
On the back of Renaissance, there’s a peek of a tattoo on the inside of your right arm. What is it and what does it signify?
It says “ALIVE”. My friend Asher and I got tattoos together in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. The whole time I got mine, he was singing Pearl Jam’s song by the same name. A lot of people survive or barely get by, but how many people are truly alive? I want to be fully alive.
How would you classify your music genre-wise and how do you set yourself apart from other “boys-and-their-guitars”?
I’m Americana/Folk. Those who subscribe to he “boys and their guitars” image don’t have long careers. They may get popular, but they burn out quickly. The longest lasting careers are usually tied to the meaningful message of the artist. Any popular song in my genre has lyrics that resonate with people. I like to think the marriage of my message and my live show set me apart from the average singer/songwriter.
What was your inspiration for “Bless the Fire”?
I complain a lot when life is difficult. Once the difficulty passes and I’m stronger for it, I speak highly of life’s challenges. Bless the Fire was my attempt at loving a really challenging situation while in the middle of it. It’s easy to look back and say hard times are good. But it’s another to say they’re good if you’re living through the death of a loved one or something equally as tragic. I want to joyfully accept what life gives me when it gives it to me.
I think you’ve got a lot going for you in the talented and inspired department and am excited for whatever you’re going to put out next. What do you have coming up next for you musically?
Thanks. I’m releasing four new albums this year – August 18, September 15, October 13 and November 27. I’ll be doing a lot of traveling in the fall to support their releases.
2 comments:
love it! And I love your new flower photo at the top of your blog. You can also join Josh's facebook fan page if you want to hear the latest news about his music :)
Great interview, Christina!
Post a Comment