I know, I know, it was 100+F this past weekend. However, the hubs had plans other than sitting around eating ice cream in the air conditioning. We quite literally worked outside all day, both days. Since resolving to get chickens, we've started a list of things we need to do, including getting a coop built, but also remedying the issue of the shady part of the garden where nothing ever grows. Here's what we did, in pictures:

K is far more of a morning person than I am and when I woke up on Saturday morning, he'd gotten most of the trench for the brick wall dug out. I'm glad in our relationship we've got a good balance of detail oriented and, um, the complete opposite, especially during this project. I learned a lot about building garden walls, including the importance of paver base, and how incomplete our lives were without an 8x8 tamper. No end of jokes there, my favorite being Kyle's while resuming work: "You ready to get your tamp - on?"
We've got the brick part done (I'll take some more pictures tomorrow), and I've bought a tiller to break up the beautiful, sticky clay that plagues Richardson.
Next step: Soil amending!
4 comments:
That's just plain awesome and I know just how hard that is to do. Our next door neighbor worked on their backyard doing basically the same thing! We're learning alot from them. You definitely need to get your tamp on!
Great job so far and I envy the part about buying a tiller the most. I want one of those fold up Honda ones buy my paychecks seem to keep going to more wool to spin. Ah well!
I've got a SUPER shady yard and my hostas, coral bells, ferns, columbines, succulents, crysanthimum, and herbs love it. I think some plants do well no matter what. As long as they are loved.
Thanks, guys, I'm really excited about new plants :) Erin, thank you SO MUCH for that list of plants, I've been trying to figure out what to plant and am definitely going to look at all those that you suggested!
Looks like you did some good work! I feel like garden's basically take care of themselves once you get them going, but it is hard work getting started. You'll appreciate the hard work it went into putting up that wall when you don't have to pull as many weeds from the garden!
Post a Comment