11.19.2009

themes.

So, the conference was far more than I could've asked for, and I went into it expecting one thing and got something else entirely. I came out with knowledge, yes, but I came away inspired, awed, exhausted, and fulfilled. There were a few themes: Neuroscience, Bilingual Music Therapy, Improvisation, and Nurturing my Creativity.

In the Neuroscience corner, we have the wonderfully inspiring lectures given by Dr. Aniruddh Patel, who was a major influence in my thesis work. A neuroscientist working on research in mirror neurons that was just...way super cool. Plus he was wicked accomplished and YOUNG which is inspiring in itself. And then there's' Dr. Iversen, who I spotted at every function all week long. It was cool to have the neuroscientists there so we could have conversations about what each of our fields was up to. They had no idea what we were doing and we had no idea what they were doing, as I suspected. I also decided that instead of doing neurologic music therapy training, I am going to start working toward a Ph.D. in Neuroscience. Maybe they'll start having drum circles at neuro conferences.

Wouldn't that be a trip.

No comments: