12.14.2010

our new normal

Adeline will be 2 weeks old in a couple days and wow what a learning curve these last two weeks has been! The first few days of breastfeeding were crazy...to establish my milk supply the nurses had me nursing left and right for 20 minutes apiece every 2 hours. The only thing is that the 2 hours starts from when you start breastfeeding, so by the time she is changed, fed, and possibly having to be changed again, that meant maybe an hour of sleep in between. It's a good thing I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere and on cue. Nowadays she eats between 2 and 3 hours at a time, sometimes eeking toward 4 hours every once in a blessed while.  There have only been a few times where we had to rely on her swing or turning on a hair dryer to totally zonk her out. Our other life saving tool has been this stuff called Gripe Water which has helped us whenever I've eaten something that makes Adeline gassy.

We've played with 3 different diapering systems...started out with disposables in the hospital, then came home to our cloth diaper service, and just today tried out the Gpants. Cloth diapering is proving to be really easy, the only thing is that recently her diaper has been getting wet through to her diaper cover on longer stretches (like at night) so we've had to double up on the diapers. Anyone out there encounter the same issue and want to share their fixes? The Gpants we're planning to use for traveling for the holidays, and today we gave them a trial run today and they worked great! 

Ummmm....okay she's crashed out so that means I need to nap as well :)


6 comments:

Unknown said...

:-)

Can't wait to see you guys again!

daina said...

she's soooo beautiful!!! I can't wait to meet her!I love you so much!!

Kelli said...

It sounds like you girls have gotten into a nice groove. You are going to have to email me about this gripe water stuff! I have never heard of it!

Becky at VintageMixer said...

Congratulations sweet friend! She is adorable.

Lauren said...

We are using gdiapers with Colin, and we put two of the disposable inserts in his diaper over night or he wets through. We haven't tried the cloth inserts yet, as we were going to wait until he got a more regular digestive schedule. Meanwhile, he just grew out of the smalls and into the medium gpants, so we need to get the medium cloth inserts! Good luck!

Christina said...

Thanks, Lauren! I finally saw the cloth inserts for the Gdiapers - we may give those a try...seeing as they're kinda expensive I'm tempted to set my scissors and sewing machine to some regular cloth diapers...