A few years ago we came across this recipe for delightful winter pork balls and chard. It is probably the most requested dish I get from the hubby, and I generally oblige happily. On a recent road trip, whilst planning this week's menu he mentioned he'd like for me to make them, but wanted to find a way to get the same flavors but with less meat.
Let's just say I nailed it.
Here's what I did:
1. Cook up a pot of white beans (I forgot to soak them last night, let's hope we're not too gassy for it) - like, as much as you would get in a 15oz can. I'm still on the dry beans kick. SO ECONOMICAL. Drain them in a colander and set aside.
2. Brown 1/4 lb pork in a medium sized pot. Add a splash of olive oil. Throw half a chopped red onion on top, along with three or four cloves of garlic, stir.
3. Chop up a bunch of mushrooms into bite-sized pieces and add those to the pot. Add salt and pepper, a dash of cumin, some Caldo de Pollo (yes, I know it has MSG, yes I know it's not vegetarian ((neither is the sausage)) but I'm trying to use it up so I can get it out of my house. I have a problem with throwing away perfectly good food), and add a pinch of cinnamon. You can add more later if you feel like you need it.
4. Stir it all up, and let the flavors combine a bit. I am adept at scorching pans, so I usually sautee things until they are browning the pan, then I add a little water, let the water cook out, add more water, and so it goes. When you get tired of this, add 4 cups of water, and add in the beans.
5. Bring to a boil, then let simmer at least half an hour to however long to get it to the consistency you like. I don't like my soups to be super runny, but not too thick.
6. Grab some bright lights chard out of your garden or a bunch from the store and tear the leaves from the stems with your hands. Toss the chard leaves into the soup pot and let them cook until the leaves turn bright green, about 5-10 minutes. You don't want to overly wilt the chard.
7. Grab some crusty bread and go to town!
In other news, I joined a local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) group called Urban Acres! Every other weekend we get a half share (15lbs) of local, organic produce! I'm super excited! I participated in one while I interned in Austin and it was absolutely wonderful - especially the part where you never really knew what was going to show up in your bin. I can't wait to see what the local farms have to offer!
No comments:
Post a Comment