I freaking love the beginning of the year! Not only is my birthday mere weeks away but everything feels so fresh and clean - there's a whole year of possibilities just waiting for you to go out and make something of them, and it's always very exciting. I would say that I don't have New Years Resolutions but this year I kind of do. Since giving up meat I've been taking much better care of my body, including drinking less alcohol (I mean, at least since the beginning of the year, all 5 days of it or whatever) and cutting dairy products out of my diet. I noticed the biggest change yesterday when I went out for lunch at Macaroni Grill and had the eggplant parmesan....and then a good helping of a colleague's birthday cake. Since being veggie I've noticed this crazy clarity and spike in energy and yesterday I crashed in a coma on the couch for a good hour and a half. It felt really icky. I took my dog on a walk and drank some water, which made it better. It may have been the milk/sugar overload that did me in. What's been totally puzzling to me is, did I just feel like that and not pay attention to it? In which case I have to say many apologies to my body because I've been treating it horrendously for the last few years. It's as if my senses are more aware of what is going on in my body, and it's...dazzling. That's the only word for it, dazzling.
I guess part of the reason for all this clean living is because we've been talking about buying a house soon, which brings in conversation about our life path and when we're going to have children and such, which will probably be in the next few years, and I want my body to be in the best shape possible. I also want to run a triathlon when I'm 25, and my friend Kate earlier this week sent me a Danskin update, which has gotten me totally excited. I am also seriously considering the Muddy Buddy in Austin. I know that marching band was my main source of exercise throughout college, but I feel like I'm in much better shape now than I was then. I can at least now run for a considerable amount of time without getting totally winded, and I can ride a bike at least 15 miles without even really thinking about it. I write about my journey of working out at http://ihatetorun.blogspot.com. I really used to hate running, even way back in middle school when I was in track because the geeky boys I had crushes on were also in track. That was probably the last time I was in really fantastic shape.
This whole turning 25 in a couple weeks has me reeling a bit, and I didn't think it would. I definitely feel different on this birthday, and have been making some realizations about being an adult, about who I want to be professionally, and the things in my life including stressers, thoughts of the past/how screwed up my life used to be, and even what kind of people I want to surround myself with. For the New Year, we went to Boerne to my uncle's ranch with my cousin and some of their friends. I had met these friends back in college and we all ended up really hitting it off again. I turned to my cousin Joel and said, "Why do I always have such an awesome time with you and your friends?" (I mean, really - some of the best times of my life have been with him and/or people he's introduced me to.) He replied, "Because I don't have friends that suck! I may only have a few friends, but they're all awesome."
Another "resolution" I guess is that the hubs and I need to get out and do stuff more often. Today we went to the dog park, and I'm going to start looking for some nice live music to go see...perhaps at least a show a month. I'm a huge fan of the DMA late nights, but I know Dallas has more to offer, and I'm going to dedicate this year to exploring it.
Whew! Time to quit procrastinating on putting away the laundry :)
X
No comments:
Post a Comment