Okay. Post-a-day. Even if it's boring, "here's what I ate for lunch today."
Last Thursday I drove from Austin to Dallas between the hours of 1 and 4:30am. I do not at all recommend it to anyone unless you have a Jonas Brothers CD and have no qualms about eating Whataburger at 3 in the morning. However, it was well worth waking up twice after I had gotten home, thinking "where AM I? oh wait - home. YES!" and then crashing back out to sleep.
We did a ton of work on the house, less probably than we would have done if I hadn't thrown my stinking back out reaching for a razor from the shower (yes our bathroom is that small and yes I know it makes me sound old that I threw my back out) but I still managed to get two broccoli and one cabbage plant planted, along with starting seeds for cucumbers, poblanos, onions, spinach, and a lettuce mix. I also planted a rosemary bush and some pretty vine with beautiful red flowers from the Fabulous In-Laws. I could finally do all that because we got our fence stained! It's a pretty "redwood" stain but it makes the fence a burnt-orangey colour so of course we love it.
Decorating a house is so awesome but kind of overwhelming. A friend's husband, after seeing her paint, furnish, and accessorize a bathroom said, "I like what you're doing, but, you're decorating the hell out of the smallest room in the house." One has to start somewhere, yes? I think that's why my favorite room in the house right now is the guest bathroom because it is far and away the most finished room in the house. I could go into every room and give a laundry list of the things we want to do (or that I want to do, like paint the laundry room bright pinky red) (pun so intended) but the nice thing is that our house is totally livable and cozy and wonderful and I'm pretty sure K's tired of me telling him how much I love it. I just can't help myself.
We ate a LOT of homemade Mexican food this weekend, and I managed to make a really f'ing hot salsa because the jalepenos fooled me. Earlier this summer, I snagged a pepper from the garden and threw it in some salsa but it wasn't hot so I had to put in a couple more to make it good. Thinking, "hey it's the same plant we'll have the same amount of hotness" I did the same thing. Bad news, friends - ATOMIC salsa. I threw in some avocado, which toned it down a bit but then we had to eat all of it because there was avocado in it.
Back to gardening - in the front of our house we've got a funny little layout where there are beautiful, explosive (at the moment) sage bushes and then some tiny ball shrubby shrubs about two feet away from them, where begonias are planted. Now, I don't know if it's just because begonias make me think of the flea market my parents used to drag me to, but I hate them. One, because you can't see them at all unless you walk right up to them and peek in and two because they don't look like real flowers, all waxy and whatnot. I want a big, beautiful, wild garden - a house in London I stayed at had the smallest space but the most enchantingly mixed-up garden that I hammocked in for HOURS...even slept out there once but then started thinking of Jack the Ripper and quit...and I want one of those. I don't like cookie cutter, I don't even really like grass, and the hubs and I are trying to come to a compromise on that BUT I DIGRESS. We've decided that we're going to rip out the begonias (and probably give them to my grandmother) and then plant strawberries and blackberry brambles.
In sorting my seeds I decided to give at least half of what I had to a fellow novice gardener and it made me think of when people lived mostly on farms and did stuff like that - shared seeds and harvests with each other. It brings people together in a way that modern society with all its texting and online gaming doesn't. Also, sitting outside in the sunshine with my hands caked in dirt, saying prayers for people, starting those seeds became the single most important thing in the world and all the worries of the past week or coming storm of orals, thesis writing, travels, presentations, and graduation (dude like, 3 months.) just rolled right off. And, it's cheaper than therapy.
5 comments:
hahaha! ATOMIC salsa. You crack me up and I can't wait to see your guest bathroom ;)
(I removed my first comment for some nasty typo action)
DUDE. You're the cutest HGTV hippie I know. And that's now reason number 615798736576 that I freaking love you.
I have these beautiful wild strawberries that grow around the daylilies at my parents' house. Would you like me to bring you some when I come up to Dallas OU weekend? It could be our agrarian society moment, if you will.
May I have some seeds for next year please:)?
yes, to both of you.
Post a Comment