9.10.2008

Ike, you're giving me a headache.

Stress, folks. Stress.

First off, let me say today was a fantastic day at work. I have been in charge of probably the most difficult on-unit groups on the campus. They're just, quite hard to reach, they're so inside their heads, talking to voices, etc. I usually do art & music with the group because it's what the previous teacher (who quit about a month into me working there) had done. I was challenged to do something different with them, so today I brought my guitar and songbook and went to it. It was amazing. Patients who had never participated in class came over, sang, clapped...I was sweating, breathless, speechless. It was one of those days that reinforces my belief in the power of music to change people, even if it's for a little bit. That flash of life I saw today restored my hope. The rest of my groups were fine, the last one especially.

This hurricane has my stomach in knots and I'm not even in Houston. My dad's 60th birthday party that was scheduled for Saturday has been called off, and the Hubs and have been going back on forth on who should go where depending on the weather...he's got Friday off, but...should I be trying to get out of town? No clue. This sucks. Ugh I need some antacid.

2 comments:

Suz said...

I just got a phone call from Austin asking if I was gonna be okay. My mom and I went shopping today and we have a generator, so we have no plans to evacuate. My mom grew up in Texas City (across the bay from Galveston) she's an old salt with this hurricane business. I was pretty surprised it was messing with y'all in Austin, too.

If I lose power for a long time, will you please call and play your guitar for me? I'll need the soothing.

Kelli said...

I am NOT looking forward to this storm.... :(