I've been reading a lot of the newspaper, which is quite different from newspaper in Austin, Texas. If you remember, Missouri was a much debated state that is made up of a lot of white Catholics. I read one article about how Catholics were either being denied or asked to seriously consider taking communion if they voted for Obama, lest they rain damnation upon their head. It of course had a lot to do with the abortion issue. What's maddening is another article I read (different news source) about how certain pro life groups are unwilling to compromise on the abstinence sex education issue. So, the hope is that we'll lower the abortion rates not by educating youngsters about safer sex practices but by closing our eyes, spinning around 3 times and hoping that their moral compass will point them in the right direction? Maddening.
The other article I read was from the AP about how hate crimes have risen since election day. This in particular makes me angry. Has our nation really returned to a time when burning crosses and randomly assaulting black people is an acceptable outlet for anger? It's appalling.
I prayed a lot this morning for the new president and his family - they're going to need it.
Other than the newspaper I've started on The Audacity of Hope, which I recommend to those of you who didn't vote for him, and those who did. I don't want to be one of those who thinks the new president poops rainbows and butterflies, and want to understand him more. People say that he's underqualified for the presidency due to lack of experience but this is a man who studied and taught constitutional law for 10 years at Columbia University and from what I've read so far is trying to hash out how our government has gotten in the mess it is currently in and really has a passion to try and fix things.
The other reason the book is really good is that it makes me want to go back and study all the government that I didn't pay attention to in high school. There's a LOT of history in the book and a lot of things one doesn't consider, especially the struggles of African Americans and what legislation has and hasn't done for them in the past.
As for me, I think though I lean liberal, I'm at the point that I'm tired of the bi-partisanism that rules this country and hope that with this presidency everyone can get more involved. I guess that makes me an independent. Constitutionalist. Whatever.
4 comments:
Independents 4 Eva!
heeee, pooping rainbows:)
I'm going to apologize for this rant ahead-of-time.
As a Catholic who voted for Obama, I'm also appalled at the practice of withholding communion from Obama supporters, pro-lifers or ANYONE, for that matter. (I heard a story on NPR about a church refusing communion to a U.S. Senator for supporting abortion in a roundabout way and it made my jaw drop I was so shocked. It also made me terribly sad).
Understand that I'm not condoning abortion--that's a topic for another time. All I'm saying is that while I recognize that the leadership of the church are ordained ministers of the mass, I don't understand why they can deny someone such an important sacrament.
The seven sacraments--of which marriage, baptism and others are included--are the exact things God has given us to better our relationship with him and help us strive to be better people. You're really going to cut someone off for this one hot button issue? What about the other sins of the world? Are you going to deny an adulterer communion?
There's another beautiful sacrament, it's called confession, as well as another great practice, prayer. In my view, everyone is on their own spiritual journey, and that will be influenced by their beliefs. At the end of their life, they're the one who will be accountable. That's free will, and that's also a gift.
and that, Kate, is why I love you.
Post a Comment