1.02.2009

first two days of triathlon training :)

I have to admit that doing the Danskin (.75k (1/2 mile) swim, 20k (12 miles) bike, 5k (3.1 miles) run) last year was ridiculously empowering and made me want more. The Great Kate and I did that one, and she went on to do another sprint distance in August (the Austin tri? I don't remember the name...) and started throwing around the idea of an olympic (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run) this year. The thought makes me kind of nauseous. At any rate, I got to thinking that if an olympic is on the map, then I could train for the olympic tri and do the Danskin as kind of a warmup.

So, I've started walking, and am giving myself 6 months to really focus on running. In terms of the bike, friends of ours just moved out into the boonies so there are lots of good biking roads near their house to take advantage of. I also live a mile from Whole Foods and 3 miles from Sprouts and a bikram studio, so on good days, I'll bike instead of drive. And then there's the swimming, probably the only one of the three that I really, REALLY enjoy. Now at least I've done a race and know what to expect (panic!) in the first few minutes of the swim and I can tweak my form so I turn all the way over to breathe so that I don't swallow so much water.

I'm interested in getting into adventure races, too - like Urban Dare or Muddy Buddy
both of which I would need partners for (hint, hint).

1 comment:

Suz said...

I should hook you up with Dayna for an adventure race... she unfortunately lives in Austin, but her sister is up in Denton so she's in your neck of the woods regularly.

You're an allstar.