10.21.2009

sim*pli*fy

I've been noticing a theme lately - different people in completely different parts of my life have been unplugging lately, mainly from television and social networking sites. It hit me this week that I no longer care about Ugly Betty or Grey's Anatomy, and that I'm TIRED of twitter. I've decided to keep the twitter account around solely for music therapy advocacy sake (conferences mostly). I'm also going to start paring down my time spent on Facebook to like, once a week (it'll take me awhile to get there I'm sure).

I think I'm just tired of seeing other people's endless updates while I could be practicing an instrument, doing research, working on the house, in the garden, baking something, finding new recipes, connecting with friends (fb does NOT count) via handwritten letters, running, swimming, biking, cooking, canning, reading, writing, crocheting, sewing, bathing and/or training my dog, decorating, painting, laughing, getting to know new people, writing songs, ANYTHING is better than wasting my brain cells on the digitized facade of other peoples' lives (real or fiction). That whole concept is why I never got into nor understood the soap opera phenomenon.

Overall, this whole thing comes from heading into the holidays, deciding what I want to do differently in the new year, and preparing my heart and mind for it. I want to be more open to people and experiences, I want to be fully alive. Sitting in front of a computer or a television will get me none of those things.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally guilty, here! Social networking is my drug addiction!

By the way, your background is damn cute...where do I get something like that???

Christina said...

www.thecutestblogontheblock.com

there's a link on the top left of my site, I think.

Michelle said...

I noticed over the past week that I accomplished more at home since I didn't have the internet. While I really wanted to get online and see what's going on, I was able to sort through a couple boxes, do laundry and clean our new to us china cabinet! Essentially, I know where you're coming from.