1.13.2010

there's no need to complicate

Hey I'm back! That month off was a much needed vacay to recharge the creative juices. I did a lot of thinking about what I wanted my blog to be about and it came down to really three big things for me: gardening, cooking, and the work I do. The smaller bits of life including travel, working out, general style and artsy things are also going to be in there but keeping a main focus will help organize my thoughts and intentions.

gardening
Well, it's Winter, and everything is dead. I have decided that growing tomatoes and peppers in the back yard just isn't doing it for me - there is just not enough sunlight back there to get a good crop of anything that requires that much sunlight. Therefore, this year I'm going to focus on creating a really spectacular herb and flower garden in the back, get the shade garden going really well, and work on my little therapy nook. I am going to also work on really educating myself about where I live, the plants that thrive here, and the soil. Thankfully there's a really amazing garden center here that has all kinds of fabulous classes. For example, this Thursday I'm going to learn about the ins and outs of Spring vegetable gardening, and keep working on the hubs as to the overabundance of sunshine in our front yard and how we can maximize that in the form of fabulous vegetables.

cooking
I know, I know - everyone's got a blog and everyone posts their recipes. Well, whether you believe in making resolutions at the New Year or not (I happen to be a huge fan) I decided that this year, January 1st would be the kickoff to a Vegan 2010 initiative. As it turns out, I also got a really horrible stomach virus at about 11pm December 31st which led to me tossing my cookies over and over and over to ring in the New Year, which, if you know me was devastating because I LOVE New Year's. Love it. I was so bummed out.

On the bright side though, there's nothing like a massive purge to get one thinking about exactly what goes into one's body. Being sick made it ridiculously easy to jump on into veganism, mostly because I was eating nothing but vegetable broth for 3 days straight. I say "easy to jump" when it's not like I've spent the better part of about 6 years playing with the idea and the practice of vegetarianism. So you know, everyone goes at their own pace. If you're interested in why I think I'll be eating mostly vegetables for awhile, check out Fast Food NationSkinny Bitch, The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Jungle, and The China Study. Then watch Supersize Me and Food, Inc. If the information in those books and films doesn't scare you running into a local farmer's patch of brussel sprouts, I don't know what will. I'm not a militant animal rights activist by any means, but if you see what those animals are put through and the diseases they carry before they get chopped up and shipped to the grocery store...it's not a system that I am willing to be on the receiving end of.

I am currently reading and following Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet. It's got lots of interesting information regarding food combining and takes a running start at veganism instead of doing the all-or-nothing approach. I borrowed a juicer from a friend this week and have been drinking green lemonade every morning and LOVE how my body feels. I'm not a person who will keep doing something if it doesn't feel good, and I definitely feel super clean on the inside.

Also in the way of cooking vegan, I have been disappointed with many vegan cookbooks and the requirement to buy and cook with all kinds of strange things. I mean, I'm up for checking out quinoa and seitan (um, why do I want to eat straight up gluten if so many people in the country are gluten intolerant and have no idea?) and all that but I'm also terrifically lazy and want to eat stuff that I know is going to taste great. To that end, I've started digging around in the 50 million cookbooks we already have to find good vegetarian/vegan recipes. Last week I made some incredible vegan southern food including a pilaf with mushrooms, okra and tomatoes, and braised carrots with terragon. When I get back from Hawaii I'm going to post the recipes and pictures.

travel
Yep, we're going to Hawaii! Our dear friends Leslie and John are getting married and we get to leave on my birthday (this Friday)! There are worse ways to spend a birthday than on a flight to paradise.

work
The biggest thing that's happened lately regarding the big three is that I have a new job! It's a long story, but I can definitely see God's hands all over this thing regarding how it all came about. 

So yeah - woohoo new year and new focus!

3 comments:

idyll hands said...

So glad you're back to blogging! Oh, and good for you for giving up on things that won't grow in your yard. Stick to what flourishes and buy the rest at a local farmer's market :)

Nikki Belshe, MT-BC said...

Have you read Eating Animals?!?! OMgosh, it's crazy fabulous. Horrifying and informative. I am so thankful there are people who will actually expose these awful secrets.

Let's hang out!

Kelli said...

so glad you got the job :)