4.19.2010

7 weeks and puketastic.

Okay. Honestly, there's a lot to catch up on and since we decided to tell everyone after my first midwife visit and after we've gotten to tell my HUGE immediate family mostly in person (which is about April 18th) so yes, the post you're currently reading was written a couple weeks ago.

I felt really, REALLY great for a couple weeks...the only really complaint I had was that I wasn't hungry, ever. I became super friendly with the green juice ladies over at Whole Foods...spinach, cucumber, and apple was my jam. Then, when and if I DID eat, I felt like I had had like, 3 Christmas dinners when I would've maybe eaten like a cuppa soup and some crackers.

Then (ugh, my stomach turns over just thinking about it) this past weekend I went to Amarillo for the Music Therapy Regional Conference and like, I don't know if was the hotel funk or their crappy eggs but morning sickness hit me like a sack of barfy bricks. I literally laid in bed most days, and felt SO AWFUL because part of the reason I was there was to be with my sister in law for her bridal shower and all I could do was lay on the couch and moan. It was MISERABLE.

Amazingly, I felt probably about 75% better when I finally got home. I am a ginger ale and lemon/lime soda officionado. I can't eat pasta with red sauce or anything spicy (like, with a lot of cumin in it)...or even...like YESTERDAY I tried to eat a salad for lunch and was all YAY! VEGETABLES because let's be honest I think the last time I ate veggies was last Sunday and really it was just baby carrot after cucumber slice after baby carrot and freaking SIX HOURS LATER when I got home after spending an hour in traffic, puked most of the salad up, mostly intact.

To add insult to injury, I would get a nasty case of acid reflux, and it wasn't until 2 days not being able to think about anything but the burning sensation in my chest that I dragged myself to the cabinet and pounced on what I thought were chewable Tums. No, they were chewable PEPTO, which you're not supposed to take when pregnant. Whoops. At the very least, I'm quite sure I puked up the last two I took yesterday. I've since switched to Tums. I like the flavor better but they don't quite do the magic that the Pepto did.

Maybe I just need to chew better...which is why I dragged my limp, defeated, barfy self over to Whole Foods and managed to get through about 8oz of green juice, then some chicken soup and a glorious mango later.

This is really taking a toll on me mentally. I never feel 100% ok, and it's really, REALLY difficult to be a therapist when all you're thinking about is NOT puking all over your kiddos. Luckily, when I'm in a session I tend to forget about me and get into the musical moment with the kids, and that provides a few minutes of relief, at least. I'm just flat out exhausted mentally and physically.

I'm writing this on a Friday, and I have never been so giddy to see the weekend and just lay in bed and eat soup and toast all weekend and not have to get out of my pajamas until Sunday morning.

How's that verse go? That God's strength is made perfect in my weakness? We'll just keep praying that over and over and over...

2 comments:

idyll hands said...

You're really making me want to be preggers... not :)

Congrats! You're going to be a great mommy.

Suz said...

Being your first pregnancy and all, I imagine the desire to really "enjoy" all of it is strong. Take solice in the light at the end of the tunnel being that the morning sickness and utter exhaustion is almost always a first trimester thing, that most women return to fully functional in the 2nd trimester. Also, Zantac is a preggo approved heartburn remedy! My friend JoAnna lived on it for a good portion of her pregnancy.

Most importantly, I peed my pants every 30 seconds reading your post because that's how excited I am that you're pregnant. You and Kyle are amazing and that little munchkin is beyond blessed that God chose y'all to be his or her parents.