It was awhile back that we started joking that when we had our very own fetus, we would name it Cletus, because it rhymed. So that's what we do, we call the fetus Cletus. As in Cletus T. Fetus. As in "WOW Cletus really loves the mango!"
Since we are watching The Wire, Kyle has taken to naming the fetus after the show's most bad-a character, Omar. I can't wait 'til it's a girl and I get to tell her about her dad's antics. Other name games have including Kyle's suggestions of "Frodo Isengaard Stock" after which I replied, "I don't know if I'm more embarrassed that you suggested that or that I know what you're talking about."
But seriously, Kyle is absolutely blowing me away. He's read The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, and asked lots of good questions when we met with the midwife, has given me lots of good insurance things to consider, and above all has done this insane job of taking care of me. I haven't exactly been the most un-slug-like of people since the dreaded sickness reared it's nasty head, and he's been absolutely wonderful, making thoughtful dinners like rice and beans to make sure I'm getting enough protein, and doing things like putting crackers on my night stand because he read online that eating before getting out of bed helps with the morning pukes, or suggesting I call my or his mom to get support through all this and then reminding me to not get crabby when they make a suggestion I don't like.
The absolute best thing he did was kind of accidental earlier this week when I was home in the morning with my head in the toilet. I had just gotten off the phone with not my midwife but her stand-in when she's out of town and had to listen to "oh, this being sick is just PART of it and you have to just get THROUGH it and have you tried all this other ginger stuff? (YES I HAVE GINGER COMING OUT OF MY EYES) and oh we can try the meds but really they make you groggy and sleepy...(NOT WORSE THAN HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW)...and oh if you have to take a couple days off, that's just what you'll have to do (DUDE. LADY. I JUST STARTED MY JOB AND AM A THERAPIST!)..." and on and on and on until I just wanted to punch her. Thanks to the lovely raging hormones, I got off the phone and just abso...lutely... LOST it, shaking, crying, full-on pity party. Then I went and threw up (because everything, including stress, makes it worse. much like thinking, blinking my eyes, and standing up does as well) and not 2 minutes later, the phone rang and he was just calling to check on me.
Love, love, LOVE my man.
5 comments:
Yay Kyle!
Having a wonderful husband is absolutely invaluable.
It really comes in handy when you're sitting on the bathroom floor hystiercial, which happened on more than one occassion.
double yay for kyle. and triple yay for cletus. i hope to name our future fetus "pat"...
:-)
Hang in there!
Cherie has suggested Brunhilda. She's very into that name right now. :-)
It's like their passage into being a dad... giving the fetus crazy nicknames and giving your future child the most bizzare names! :)
Post a Comment