4.21.2010

sweet, sweet relief

Last Saturday I had to spill the beans to a friend of mine because she also battled really horrendous morning sickness. At first she offered me her prescription anti-nausea meds, but then since she and I are both rule followers, she referred me to her chiropractor and gave me her number so I could talk to her about what to do because I wasn't able to hold down ANYTHING.

Oh, sweet sweet relief! Her name is Autumn and she is quite possibly the best thing that's happened to me (besides the actual finding out I'm pregnant and my husband being absolutely incredible) since this journey began. She suggested I try a couple homeopathic things which I tried immediately and OH MY GOSH THEY WORK! I was actually able to eat for the first time in like, 9 days. I had a slice of pizza with the meds, then I went out with some ladies for Indian food and had a teeny tiny taste of everyone's food, and didn't throw up! I seriously nearly cried.

I ordered a book called Expecting by Marla Taviano, which is a week-by-week update on the baby, on how a mom's body is changing, a Bible verse, quote, and some space for a devotional. In my miserable stupor one night I started flipping through and around week 23 found the verse:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29

I would be lying if I told you that it hasn't taken me a few weeks to get used to the idea that there's another person being knit together in there, and I was having a hard time finding any inner peace whatsoever because of the raging awfulness last week brought. When I read that verse above though, my heart immediately stilled and I was able to take a deep breath. Yes, I've been able to lean on others and have them support me, but I had somehow forgotten that God is really the only one who can bring that sweet inner peace, and that His rest is what I should've been seeking all along. That lesson seemingly popped out of nowhere, and I was happy to find it.

No comments: