4.25.2010

fighting toward the new normal

I have learned so much in the last few weeks...I feel like I've grown up a lot, too. 

There have been changes at breakneck speed around here and I finally feel like I am finally catching up. Breathing. 

It's not something I liked at first, something I didn't even want to acknowledge. In fact, I found myself almost dumbfoundedly asking my hubs, "uhhhh...is this what it's always been like to be you?" because I've always ALWAYS been the super spontaneous see-the-world-right-now! of the two of us, while he's way more content hanging out at home, doing home things and being happy as a clam.

I'm learning to enjoy this. To need this. It's kind of hard when your body tells you, "hey so...I know you've got big plans for Saturday but...um...we've got this non-negotiable sleeping for 18 hours on the schedule in Sharpie, and you're just going to have to deal with it."

So this past Friday, I got home from work about 6pm, put on my pajamas, was asleep by 6:30pm. Woke up at 10pm, ate a slice of pizza, watched the finale of Project Runway, then slept until 7:30 Saturday morning. 

And was still. Sleepy.

Sunday though...today...was one of those rare good days. I feel my eyelids getting heavy even as I type this but I count today as a victory because I did some laundry, swept and vacuumed much of the house, of course did copious amounts of napping and resting, and got to actually enjoy the following:


Collard Greens: Boil a couple ham hocks, add onion, garlic, simmer for 30 minutes. Add greens, more salt than you think you're going to, pepper, and 1 can of Rotel. Let cook until you're ready to eat (another 30 minutes)




Kyle did a crazy ground mustard marinade on the ribs and then spent like 6 hours smoking them on the grill and alternating between them and the oven. He was like the Jedi master of ribs today.




Blackberry Cobbler: Kyle found these for 88 cents a package at the store, so of course he got tons.




Candace and I then moved a workbench outside and made some guacamole.


I thought it was a little ambitious, even for me, but ohhhhh it was good.

I was as they say, happy as a bird with a french fry.

And now, it's time to sleep.

4 comments:

Mini-Martha said...

i love that you asked kyle if that's what it's like to be him. :)

and i really wish we lived in dallas and could come to your dinner partays!

Unknown said...

Man, I don't think I, personally, would have to fight too hard for that new normal... sounds right up my alley ;-) Well, not the pukey part.

Michelle said...

It's very weird to slow down, but I'm glad you're listening to your body. Don't over do it if you can! Hooray for being able to eat. I'm jealous of your food parties with the Wallners. I vote for all of y'all to move back to Austin ASAP!

Christina said...

Michelle & Grace - errr...I vote you move to Dallas. The End.