So by now you've probably heard that I ended up having to give pitocin a shot, along with an epidural and eventually a c-section. Pretty much exactly the opposite of what we were trying to do - all natural earthy crunchy and such, but definitely according to our plan. I sit here and look at Adeline's face and am thankful for the fact that we have the interventions that we do that make birth...well I guess in my case, and in lots of other cases, possible.
I'm not disappointed in the way things turned out because above all, I wanted to stay away from unnecessary interventions. There was never a time that I felt "resigned" to a c-section. The whole time, Kyle and I were empowered, encouraged, and informed by my angelic nurses, OBGYN, and doula. Where was my midwife, you ask? Well, that's another tale for another time.
Six days out from the whole thing I am bewildered why there is such a thing as an "elective cesarean," that anyone would elect to put their body through major abdominal surgery, stay in bed for at least 24 hours, be whacked out on pain meds, and deal with all the pain and ickyness, if they had the choice of doing one or the other. This is in no way a judgement by any stretch of the imagination - I just know that I would rather do labor all over again and push a baby out than do the c-section recovery dance again.
Six days out from the whole thing I am bewildered why there is such a thing as an "elective cesarean," that anyone would elect to put their body through major abdominal surgery, stay in bed for at least 24 hours, be whacked out on pain meds, and deal with all the pain and ickyness, if they had the choice of doing one or the other. This is in no way a judgement by any stretch of the imagination - I just know that I would rather do labor all over again and push a baby out than do the c-section recovery dance again.
People say that every birth is an enlightening journey and there were definitely things I had to learn about myself through the process that I couldn't have learned any other way. I'll get around to telling about the whole thing later, but for now I'm still kinda processing, being thankful for my sweet little family, especially Kyle. Seriously, there's no way I could've survived the last week and a half without him.
6 comments:
I like that you have a label of "Adeline" now to tag your blogs...
Good for you! It's refreshing to see a woman who isn't scared into medical decisions based on a doctors schedule. 'As neccessary' as opposed to 'as convenient.' I'm so proud of you!
Congratulations again on your beautiful little monkey! :)
Congrats! We weren't planning on a C section either, but I can tell you a week later I'm feeling a ton better. Adeline is absolutely adorable and I love her name! I'm sure you'll feel better in no time. Have fun with your new little one!
you gave it your very best and should be very proud of the effort you put forth. I don't know that I could have gone 42 weeks + some! You made it sound so effortless and should be applauded for that! C-section recovery can be tough, but you are much tougher than that! Take it one day at a time, sleep when little one sleeps, that is when you do most of your healing. The rest of it will be there when you get ready for it. Walk as much as you can and stay on top of your pain as much as you can with at least Tylenol. You probablly already know that but this is stuff no one told me from my first C-section and it was so much harder than the other 2, so I just want to share just in case. I am sure you have a fabulous support system so do not be afraid or hesitant to ask for help if/when you need it.
Can't wait to hear your story. Whatever you went through, I know your sweet Adeline is worth every moment.
Madolin I was wondering how you were doing! We're also almost at a week - it's amazing how every day, every nap, speeds the healing process :) Ben is completely adorable - I can't wait to watch him grow :)
Post a Comment